Almost every computer user has heard the word “cookie” at least once in his experience. But, for sure, not everyone clearly understands what cookies are and why they should be cleared. In this article, we will explain what are cookies and how to clear cookies on Mac.
- What are cookies on the computer
- Why clear cookies on Mac
- How to delete cookies on Firefox
- How to clear cookies on Safari
- How to clear cookies in Chrome
- How to clear cookies in Opera
- An easy way to clear cookies on Mac with App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
What are cookies on the computer
Cookies are small text files, that the websites you visit create and store in your browser. Cookies contain data of user logins, passwords, preferences, statistics and other information. Each time you visit an appropriate website, your browser sends to it cookies for identifying you as a user. As a result, you have a smoother passage when you visit the page the next time – you don’t need to enter a login and password each time.
Generally, cookies are used for:
- Authenticating the user;
- Storing user settings and personal preferences;
- Monitoring the status of the user’s access session;
- Conducting various user statistics.
Cookies are simple text data and they cannot perform any action on their own. A cookie cannot, therefore, be a virus or spyware. Most modern browsers allow users to choose to accept cookies or not; however, declining them makes it impossible to work with some websites.
Why clear cookies on Mac
Despite their usefulness, cookies have some disadvantages, among which are:
- Anyone who has access to your computer can login to forums and websites under your name.
- A large number of cookies take up disk space.
- It is possible to trace the history of your visits, which is undesirable from the privacy point of view.
How to delete cookies on Firefox
- Launch Firefox.
- Go to Menu Bar → Firefox → Preferences → Privacy & Security.
- In the Cookies and Site Data section click Manage Data….
- Click Remove All.
How to clear cookies on Safari
- Launch Safari.
- Go to Menu bar → Safari → Preferences.
- Select Privacy Tab and click Manage Website Data.
- Click Remove All.
How to clear cookies on Chrome
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Click on Customize and controle Google Chrome icon in the upper right corner and go to Settings.
- Go to Privacy and security → Clear browsing data.
- Go to Advanced tab and tick Cookies and other site data. Click Clear data.
How to delete cookies in Opera
- Launch Opera.
- Go to Menu bar → Opera → Preferences → Privacy and security.
- Click Clear browsing data.
- Tick Cookies and other site data and click Clear data.
How to delete cookies on Mac with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
Deleting cookies manually can be a bother, especially if you use several browsers. In this case, you can use free software like App Cleaner & Uninstaller. The app will let you clear all your cache files with cookies, logins and preferences for all browsers in just one click.
- Download App Cleaner & Uninstaller and launch it
- Switch on the Expert Mode
- Choose web browsers and select Caches for each one
- Click the Remove button