FAQ – Phone Cleaner
Phone Cleaner is a small iOS / Mac utility that helps you to clean up storage on your iPhone or iPad in 2 ways:
– Find and remove the largest photos and videos
– Find and remove the photos and videos that already have been transferred to Mac.
It’s a useful tool for those who is actively involved with image creation or processing: photographers, designers or just selfie takers.
Phone Cleaner provides 2 ways to clean up your storage. One of them is to find duplicates on Mac and iOS. If you don’t have a Mac, Phone Cleaner still be useful for you as it provides a second feature – find and get rid of the largest media on your iPhone or iPad.
Yes, Phone CLeaner is free on both platforms. You can download it from official Apple app stores. It works on iOS 8.0 and Mac OS X 10.10 or higher.
To find and delete the largest files on iPad/iPhone follow these steps:
- Launch the application
- Select “Fast cleanup”
- See in the gallery the list of the largest videos and photos shown descending
- Tick the files you want to remove and click Remove selected
You can also preview the files before deleting in a Cover Flow tab. Swipe left or right to show next or previous file. Swipe down to move the file to a Trash.
To find and remove mutual files on Mac and iPad / iPhone you have to follow these 5 steps:
- Download app versions for Mac and iOS
- Connect devices to the same Wi-Fi network
- Select Mac / iOS pair on any platform
- Click Find Duplicates button
- Select photos from the appeared list and remove
All trashed files from Phone Cleaner go to Recently Deleted folder by default on your Device. You can recover the file from there or click Delete All to get rid of the largest files decisively.
Probably, you should grant access to your photo library. Go to Settings -> Phone Cleaner and enable this option.
There are 2 points that should be accomplished on your iPhone:
- Make sure the app has a granted access to photos. You can check it in Settings -> Phone Cleaner.
- Enable connection by clicking “Accept connection request.” Connection request appears automatically.
iOS 8 and Mac OS X 10.8 respectively. Nothing else is required. Note, that both devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Use Gallery tab to select the files quickly.
- Use Cover Flow if you have similar files and need to preview them.
- Before clicking on Remove Selected button, it’s better to go to Trash to check the selected files.
- After removing the files with Phone Cleaner go to Recently Deleted folder on your iPhone/iPad and delete them decisively.
- Have a good Wi-Fi connection.
- Move your devices close to each other and Wi-Fi source.
- It’s better not to switch on iOS to other application, no such problems on Mac.
- It’s easier to delete photos using Mac interface.
- Specify folders to search for photos on Mac. See next question to know more.
Go to app Preferences. By default you are allowed to search only in user Pictures folder and its contents. If you save photos in other locations you can “plus” them or by drag and drop from Finder. Changes will be applied during the next scan.
The app does not delete photos completely, it puts them into Trash in Mac versions and in Recently Deleted section on iOS if it is enabled in Preferences.
In-app is required to search for videos as well it disables ads. Whereas in a free version you can search for duplicate photos.
Mac: Go to “Select Duplicates” section and click on the part of app’s window (not photo). Now drag mouse and you will select all duplicates in an appeared rectangular. Press Enter or ⌘+⇧+A shortcut to select and delete them.
iPhone: Similar to Photos app. Select one photo and swipe to other photos.
Make sure that both devices are connected to the same Wi-fi network.