Funter is a free application that allows you to find hidden files and folders on your Mac. After launching Funter you get access to the app from the Menu Bar.
Below, you can find a quick look of Funter’s options to show, hide and operate hidden files on Mac.
Show hidden files
Use the slide button to show hidden files and hide them again.
Note: Funter “remembers” the state after the relaunch.
Find hidden files
All you need to search for hidden files on your Mac is just to type the name of the file in the search fieldand press Enter.
Funter allows you to choose a folder to search, shows all hidden files, regular files and files in package content. You can preview the files from Funter or forward them to the file location in Finder.
Hide your files
Funter integrates with Finder and adds its own command to the context menu. Select a file and click on “Hide with Funter” from the shortcut menu or from the context menu to hide a file.
Unhide hidden files
If you need to unhide hidden files on your Mac, use the context menu, but firstly, make hidden files visible. Enable “Show hidden files” in a Funter menu. Select any file or folder you want to unhide and click on “Unhide with Funter.”
In Funter’s window, you can switch a needed files’ visibility with the appropriate items in the right top corner. By default, the visibility of files in package content is switched off so as not to remove important items by mistake.
Select a file and click the Emerged preview button to see the file’s content. You can open the file in a Finder window as well.
Operate hidden files and folders
Copy, move, or remove files with the buttons in the right bottom corner. You can select specific files or use Command+A to select all the files and folders.
Search for files
Searching for hidden files with Funter is simple and fast. Follow these easy steps to find hidden files:
- Launch Funter and click on its icon in the Tool Bar on your desktop.
- Type the file name in the Funter search field and press Enter on your keyboard.
- The app will display a list of files that match the search query.
- If you want to view the file’s location in Finder, click the magnifier icon.
Use Funter to find any file on your Mac, including files in bundles and packages.
When you first start Funter, it is integrated into the Finder by default. So, when you use Finder, you can just click on the Funter icon in the toolbar to show or conceal hidden files.
However, if you use macOS 10.15, you should keep in mind the next scenario. If you have disabled Finder integration in the Funter preferences, its icon will disappear from the Finder toolbar. When you enable Finder integration next time, the icon will not appear in the toolbar automatically. To add it to the Finder toolbar, you have to take the following steps:
- Launch Funter and go to Preferences.
- Select Enable Finder integration.
- Open Finder. Make a right-click on the toolbar and select Customize Toolbar.
- In the window that appears, select the Funter icon and drag it into the toolbar. Then, click Done.
Funter is localized to the following languages:
Funter uses the preferred language you set up for your macOS. To change the language follow these steps:
- Go to System Preferences → select the Language & Region section.
- Switch to the Apps tab. If you don’t see Funter in the list of applications, click the Plus “+” button at the bottom of the window and add Funter.
- Then change the language for Funter. The application will restart and the language will be changed to the one, you set up.
To uninstall Funter, follow these steps:
- Quit the app from the toolbar menu.
- Go to the Applications folder and remove Funter to Trash.
- Then go to the ~/Library folder → find and remove the associated with Funter files in the Application Support and Caches folders.
Another option to completely uninstall Funter is to use App Cleaner & Uninstaller.