Funter is a free application that allows you to find hidden files and folders on your Mac. Once you launch Funter, you will see its icon in the menu bar. Click it to open Funter’s window and operate hidden files.
Show hidden files
Open Funter’s drop-down window and use the slide button to show hidden files and hide them again.
Find hidden files
With Funter, you can search for hidden files on your Mac and in any particular folder. For this, type the file’s name in the search field, choose the location where you want to search for hidden files, and press Enter.
You will see a new window with the list of all files having the query word in their names.
Funter shows all hidden files, regular files, and files in package content. You can preview them with the Quick Look option or open them in Finder. For this, use the appropriate icons in the file’s line or the context menu.
Hide your files
Funter integrates with Finder and adds its own command to the context menu. It means that you can hide any file or folder in Finder with the context menu. Here is how:
- Find the file that you want to hide in Finder.
- Right-click on the file.
- In the context menu, click “Hide with Funter.”
- The file will be hidden.
Unhide hidden files
To unhide hidden files on your Mac, you can use the context menu, but firstly, you need to make your hidden files visible.
- Open Funter’s window and use the toggle button to show hidden files.
- Find the hidden files you want to unhide in Finder.
- Right-click on the file, and in the context menu, click “Unhide with Funter.”
In Funter’s window, you can switch a needed files’ visibility with the appropriate items in the right top corner. By default, the visibility of files in package content is switched off so as not to remove important items by mistake.
Select a file and click the Emerged preview button to see the file’s content. You can open the file in a Finder window as well.
Operate hidden files and folders
Funter allows you to copy, move, or remove files right in the apps’ window. See the appropriate buttons in the bottom right corner of the window. Select the files you want to remove, copy or move to another location and click the appropriate icon.
Search for files
Searching for hidden files with Funter is simple and fast. Follow these easy steps to find hidden files on your Mac:
- Launch Funter.
- Click Funter’s icon in the toolbar on your desktop.
- Type the file name in the search field.
- Select the location where you want to search for hidden files.
- Press Enter (Return) on your keyboard.
- The app will display a list of files that match your search query.
- If you want to view the file’s location in Finder, click the magnifier icon.
When you launch Funter the first time, the app automatically integrates into the Finder. Funter’s icon appears in the Finder toolbar. Then you can click the Funter’s icon in Finder’s toolbar to quickly show or hide hidden files.
Note that on macOS 10.15 and later, if you have disabled Finder integration in the Funter preferences, its icon will disappear from the Finder toolbar. When you enable Finder integration next time, the icon will not appear in the toolbar automatically. To add it to the Finder toolbar, you have to take the following steps:
- Click the Funter’s icon in the Mac toolbar.
- Click the Settings icon and select Preferences.
- In the General tab, switch on the option “Enable Finder integration.”
- Open Finder and right-click on the toolbar.
- Click Customize Toolbar…
- In the window that appears, select the Funter icon and drag it into the toolbar.
- Click Done.
Full Disk Access
By default, Apple requires that you manually grant access to your apps to operate the users` files. This is done for security reasons. Since Funter searches for files on the whole of your Mac hard drive, you will need to grant Full Disk Access to allow the app to perform its task.
Here is how to grant access for Funter to your disk to find any file, including hidden files.
(Steps for macOS 10.14-12)
- Open Preferences of Funter.
- Switch to the Disk Access tab.
- Click Open Preferences to Grant Access.
- It will open System Preferences showing the Security & Privacy section → Privacy Tab → Full Disk Access option.
- Click the Lock icon to make changes. You will need to provide your user password.
- Click the Plus(+) icon and add Funter. You can also drag and drop Funter right to this window.
- Mark the checkbox for Funter to allow the app to get Full Disk Access. You will need to quit Funter to implement changes.
- Click the Lock icon to prevent further changes.
Steps for macOS v.13:
- Open System Settings.
- Go to the Privacy & Security section.
- Click Full Disk Access.
- Switch on the toggle button for Funter.
- If you don’t see the app in this list, click the plus(+) icon and add Funter.
After this, when you search files with Funter, the app will be able to scan your whole Mac hard drive.
If you have any questions about Funter, contact our support team. We will be happy to assist you.
Funter is localized to the following languages:
Funter uses the preferred language you set up for your macOS. To change the language, follow these steps:
- Open System Preferences and go to the Language & Region section.
- Switch to the Apps tab.
- If you don’t see Funter in the list of applications, click the Plus (+) button at the bottom of the window and add Funter.
- Then change the language for Funter. The application will restart, and the language will be changed to the one you chose.
To uninstall Funter, follow these steps:
- Quit the app from the toolbar menu.
- Go to the Applications folder and remove Funter to Trash.
- Then go to the ~/Library folder → find and remove the associated with Funter files in the Application Support and Caches folders.
Another option to completely uninstall Funter is to use App Cleaner & Uninstaller.