Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free software that allows you to view, print, and comment on PDF files. If for some reason you want or need to uninstall Adobe Reader from your Mac, you are in the right place. In this article, we will provide a detailed guide on how to correctly uninstall Adobe Reader from your device.
- How to manually uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader on Mac.
- How to uninstall Adobe Reader with App Cleaner & uninstaller.
How to manually uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on Mac
Here are the steps on how to remove Adobe Reader from your Mac with all of its support files, such as caches, logs, preferences, and so on:
- Open Finder and go to the Applications folder.
- Find and move the Adobe Reader application into the Trash.
- Go to the system Library folder to find and remove Adobe Reader support files. For this, In Finder press Command+Shift+G and type ~/Library in the search field. Click on Go.
Check the folders inside the Library for the files associated with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (ARMDC):
- ~/Library/Application Support
- ~/Library/Saved Application State
*Tilda before the “Library” means that the folder is hidden.
Also, check these locations for Adobe Reader support files:
- /Library/Application Support
- /Library/Saved Application State
- Once you remove all Adobe Reader’s service files, empty the Trash. And voila! You’ve completely removed Adobe Acrobat Reader from your Mac.
Note, that you might have more or less Adobe Reader’s service files on your Mac. Their number depends on the period of time you used the application, on its version, preferences, and on other parameters. To make sure you completely uninstalled Adobe Reader, you can check for its remaining files with App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
How to Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a software tool for uninstalling applications on Mac. It also finds the leftovers of the previously removed apps and displays them in the list of Remaining Files.
Here are the steps on how to completely remove Adobe Acrobat with App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Find Adobe Reader in the list of your apps.
- Select all Adobe files and click on Remove.
- Confirm the action.
Please note, if you have more than one Adobe application, for instance, Adobe Photoshop, they might have shared support files. App Cleaner & Uninstaller will not remove the support files, so the applications can continue working without harming the other Adobe app. If you have only one Adobe application, App Cleaner & Uninstaller will show all its service files for removal. Also, make sure that App Cleaner & Uninstaller searches for service files in the System folders. For this, go to the Preferences → General tab → enable the Display System Applications option.
If your Adobe Reader had internet plugins and, after the removal, it shows you some notifications, check the Extensions tab → Internet Plugins and remove the Adobe Reader plugin.