Adobe Acrobat Reader is free software that allows you to view, print, and comment on PDF files. If you need to uninstall Adobe Reader from your Mac for some reason, you are in the right place. This article will provide a detailed guide of three ways on how to uninstall Adobe Reader from your Mac completely.
- How to manually uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC from Mac.
- How to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Pro DC from Mac.
- How to uninstall any version of Adobe Reader with a few clicks.
Important notes about uninstalling Adobe Reader from Mac:
- Note that every application creates tons of service files and stores them all over your system. It is very important to remove all Adobe Reader’s support files to uninstall the application completely.
- Even if you use the native Adobe Reader’s uninstallers, some support files might be left on your Mac. We recommend that you always check your Mac for applications’ remaining files for the complete uninstallation.
- You can manually find and remove Adobe Reader’s remaining files or do this automatically with App Cleaner & Uninstaller from Nektony. Also, you can use a free application Funter to find hidden files associated with Adobe Reader.
How to manually uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC on Mac
To completely uninstall Adobe Reader from your Mac, you will need to remove its executable file and all related support files, such as caches, logs, preferences, and so on. We will explain how to find Adobe Reader’s remaining files.
Steps on how to manually uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC:
- Quit Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Go to the Applications folder and remove the Adobe Reader application into the Trash.
- Go to the system Library folder to find and remove Adobe Reader support files. For this, In Finder press Command+Shift+G and type ~/Library in the search field. Click on Go.
Check the folders inside the Library for the files associated with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (ARMDC).:
- ~/Library/Application Support
- ~/Library/Saved Application State
Also, go to the Library folder without the tilde sign. Check these locations for Adobe Reader support files:
- /Library/Application Support
- /Library/Saved Application State
- Once you remove all Adobe Reader’s service files, empty the Trash. And voila! You’ve completely removed Adobe Acrobat Reader from your Mac.
Before switching to the guide on how to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, we want to share one more way on how you can find applications’ support files. You can do this with a free tool called Funter. Funter is designed to find hidden files on Mac by just a file’s name.
Here is how to use Funter to find and remove Adobe Reader’s hidden files:
- Launch Funter.
- Click on Funter’s icon in the desktop toolbar.
- In the search filed type “adobe” and press Enter.
- You will see the list of all files that have the word “adobe” in their names.
- Select Adobe Reader’s service files and remove them.
Please, be careful and remove only files associated with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Removing other important service files might damage your system and other applications. If you are not sure what files are associated with Adobe Acrobat Reader, use App Cleaner & Uninstaller for a safe removal.
How to uninstall Adobe Acrobat Pro DC from Mac
If you use the Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, you can uninstall it with its native uninstaller. Below, we will explain where to find the Adobe Pro DC uninstaller and how to use it.
- Quit Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.
- Go to the Applications folder, find and run the Acrobat Uninstaller tool.
- Select Adobe Acrobat and click Open.
- Confirm uninstalling Acrobat DC by clicking OK.
- The Acrobat DC will be uninstalled from your Mac.
If for some reason you cannot find the Adobe Acrobat DC uninstaller in your Applications folder, or you face any issue when using this tool, use App Cleaner & Uninstaller from Nektony. This uninstaller can uninstall any application from Mac completely and with just a few clicks.
How to Uninstall Adobe Acrobat Reader DC with a few clicks
You can use App Cleaner & Uninstaller for uninstalling applications from Mac. It finds all of the support files of applications and even the remaining files of previously removed applications. You can use App Cleaner & Uninstaller to remove any version of Adobe Acrobat Reader completely.
Steps on how to completely remove Adobe Acrobat with App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro Dc in the list of scanned apps. In the Expert mode, you can see the list of their service files.
- Click the Remove button.
- Confirm the action.
Please note, if you have more than one Adobe application like,Adobe Photoshop, these apps might have shared support files. App Cleaner & Uninstaller will not remove the common support files, so the applications can continue working without harming the other Adobe app. If you have only one Adobe application, App Cleaner & Uninstaller will show all its service files for removal. Also, make sure that App Cleaner & Uninstaller searches for service files in the System folders. For this, go to the Preferences → General tab → enable the Display System Applications option.
If your Adobe Reader has internet plugins and, after the removal, it might show you some notifications. To find the internet plugins, go to the Extensions tab → Internet Plugins. Select and remove the Adobe Reader plugin.
If you have already removed Adobe Reader manually or with its native uninstaller, you can check your Mac for its remaining files. For this, switch to the appropriate section from the sidebar. If you find the Adobe Acrobat’s remaining files, select and remove them. As you can see, with App Cleaner & Uninstaller you can completely uninstall applications and delete all unneeded leftover files without wasting your time trying to find all those small files that are placed all over your drive.