The Box Sync application for Mac allows you to synchronize data from your online Box storage with your computer. If you decide to delete Box Sync on your Mac, for example, to free up your disk storage, there are several ways you can do this. In this post, we want to highlight two methods of completely uninstalling Box Sync on a Mac.
Manually Remove Box Sync from a Mac
Each application differs from another not only in its purpose but also by its technical characteristics and components. That is why the common method of uninstalling an app by dragging and dropping its icon to Trash is incomplete. In the case of the Box Sync app, you should complete the next six steps to completely remove Box Sync from your Mac:
- Quit Box Sync. For this, click on the Box Sync (small b) icon in the menu bar and select Quit.
Open the System Preferences → Extensions → Finder → find Box Sync Finder Extension in the list of the items and untick it.
- Open the Applications folder → select Box Sync.app → remove the executable file by dragging and dropping the Box Sync icon to the Trash.
- Delete the Box Sync folder on your Hard Drive if you do not need your files synchronized in the folder. By default, it is located in your user’s folder, Users/username/Box Sync. But you may have moved it to another place for your convenience. In this case, use the Finder’s search bar and type Box Sync to find and delete this folder.
- The next step is likely unfamiliar for the average user, but it is required. You have probably heard that every application creates additional temporary service files on your disk. Even after you have deleted the Box Sync application’s executable file, its service files are still stored on your Mac. They are useless and take up storage space, so you should get rid of them as well. Generally, the service files are stored in your user’s Library folder, which is hidden by default. To get access to this folder, open Finder → click Go in the menu bar → Go to Folder → in the window that appears, type ~/Library and click Go. Within the user’s Library folder, find and remove all files and folders related to Box Sync in the following subfolders:
You can also find useless files in the main Library folder. So, repeat the actions in Finder to open a certain folder and type /Library (without tilde) and click Go. Find and delete the files that contain Box Sync in their names in the following subfolder:
5. Complete the Box Sync removal by emptying the Trash bin.
Uninstall Box Sync on a Mac Automatically
Fortunately, there are the third-party uninstallers, which save time and uninstall applications on your Mac quickly and entirely. We recommend using the App Cleaner & Uninstaller software tool. It has an intuitive interface and helps to remove more than 1,000 applications from your Mac in less than a minute. Complete the following steps to uninstall Box Sync using App Cleaner & Uninstaller on your Mac:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select the Box Sync app from the list of items in the Applications tab. All it service files will be selected automatically. Click on Uninstall to get rid of the app and its service files.
- Overview the files you want to delete and click Remove.
- Then empty the Trash.
Computer technologies are improving quickly, making our lives easier. Considering all the software tools we use, why not use an app uninstaller to save time and protect your computer? App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a handy program for Mac users, which removes apps quickly, correctly and completely. To get started, download App Cleaner & Uninstaller. However, you can always use the manual method if you have extra free time.