This article will show you how to uninstall uTorrent on Mac completely and safely. We will also explain how to remove any leftover files and folders that uTorrent may have created on your system.
- What is uTorrent, and should I uninstall it?
- How to manually uninstall uTorrent on Mac
- How to uninstall uTorrent in a few clicks
Before we start
App Cleaner & Uninstaller
What is uTorrent, and should I uninstall it?
uTorrent is a popular BitTorrent client that allows you to download and share files over the internet. It is one of the most widely used torrent applications in the world, with millions of users. Despite the fact, that it can be a useful tool for downloading and sharing files over the internet, it also comes with some risks and responsibilities. You should always be aware of the legal and ethical implications of using uTorrent on your computer, and take the necessary precautions to safeguard your device and yourself.
Also note, that using uTorrent on your Mac can expose you to malware, viruses, and other threats. Some torrent files may contain malicious code that can infect your computer or steal your personal information. Therefore, it is important to be careful and cautious when using the service on your Mac. Thus, uTorrent has been criticized for various reasons, such as security issues, adware, malware, and unwanted software bundles. That’s why you may want to uninstall it from your computer. Read carefully the guide below. We’ll explain how to do it completely and correctly.
Important notes about this guide:
- In this article, we provide two ways to remove uTorrent. However, we recommend that you follow the manual way only if you understand how the file system on macOS works. If you remove important service files by mistake, it can damage your system.
- If you do not have time to explore the manual way, you can use a special tool called App Cleaner & Uninstaller, that can help you completely remove uTorrent or any other app from Mac along with its caches, logs, login items, and preferences.
How to uninstall uTorrent on Mac manually
Many users, when trying to remove uTorrent, go to the Applications folder in Finder and simply delete the uTorrent app to Trash. Nice, but we have bad news for you. In such a way, only the executable file was deleted, while all the app’s service files remain on the hard drive.
Steps to completely delete uTorrent:
- Switch to Finder and go to the Applications folder.
- delete uTorrent into the Trash.
- Go to ~/Library folder. For this, press CMD+Shift+G shortcut and navigate the ~/Library.
- Navigate and remove uTorrent support and temporary files. Check the following locations for them:
- Empty the Trash bin.
Please note that the manual way of finding the service files is time-consuming and some files may be spread out in different locations on your disk.
This means that it’s possible not to find some files or even to remove other files by mistake.
That’s why we recommend that you use a special uTorrent removal tool – App Cleaner & Uninstaller. Keep on reading to learn how to use it.
Uninstall uTorrent with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a special program to remove any application from your system completely and safely. It automatically finds all the support files of each app and allows you to uninstall the app, leaving no trace behind. Here’s how to use it:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select the uTorrent in the list of apps.
- Click the Remove button and confirm the deletion.
If you have already removed the uTorrent executable to Trash in the usual way, you can remove its service files left behind. Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller and switch to the Remaining Files section. Here you will see the leftovers of all apps removed in the wrong way, including the support files.