µTorrent is a popular BitTorrent client. However, downloading items from µTorrent may be unsafe for your computer. If you want to remove µTorrent from your Mac, read this article. We will show how to uninstall µTorrent on a Mac completely and safely.
How to manually uninstall µTorrent
Many users when trying to remove µTorrent on Mac, go to the Applications folder in Finder and simply delete the µTorrent app to Trash. Nice, but we have bad news for you. In such a way, only the executable file was deleted, while all µTorrent’s service files remain on Mac’s hard drive.
Here is how to completely delete µTorrent on your Mac:
- Switch to Finder and go to the Applications folder.
- Drag and drop the µTorrent application to Trash.
- Go to ~/Library folder, use CMD+Shift+G shortcut.
- Enter the ~/Library path and click Go.
- Navigate and remove µTorrent support and temporary files, so remove files and folders:
- ~/Library/Application Support/uTorrent Web
- Empty the Trash bin; then restart your Mac to complete removing the app.
Please note that the manual way of finding the service files of µTorrent is time-consuming and some files may be spread out in different locations on your disk.
This means that it’s possible not to find some files or even to remove other files by mistake.
That’s why we recommend that you use a special µTorrent removal tool – App Cleaner & Uninstaller. Keep on reading to learn how to get rid of µTorrent with just a few clicks.
Uninstall µTorrent with App Cleaner
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a special program to remove any application on Mac completely and safely. It automatically finds all the support files of each app and allows you to uninstall the app leaving no trace behind.
Here is how to uninstall µTorrent with App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select the µTorrent app and tick the checkbox.
- Click the Remove button and confirm the deletion.
If you have already removed the µTorrent executable to Trash in the usual way, you can remove its service files left behind. Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller and switch to the Remaining Files section. Here you will see the leftovers of all apps removed in the wrong way, including the support files of µTorrent.