If you downloaded IntelliJ but for some reason you don’t need it anymore, read this article. We’ll explain how to delete IntelliJ on your Mac wholly and correctly. You’ll learn two methods of IntelliJ uninstallation. One of them is a universal method, which you can also use to remove any other application from your Mac.
Tip – The quickest way to uninstall IntelliJ from Mac
App Cleaner & Uninstaller
How to manually delete the IntelliJ Mac version
The first method is simple and comprises three steps. You just need to complete all the steps manually and carefully.
Important notes about uninstalling IntelliJ from Mac
- It is important to understand that any program consists of numerous files: an executable file, logs, caches, libraries, service files, and etc. If you wish to completely get rid of an application, you should remove all its service files from your Mac. This step will help to prevent unwelcome technical issues with other programs on your computer in the future.
- By default, applications’ service files are stored in the Library folder. You should be careful when deleting files from the Library folder. On Mac, the Library folder is hidden to exclude accidental removal of the critical files required for applications to operate. However, hidden service files of deleted apps are no longer needed and should be removed after the deletion of the app.
- Before writing this article, we checked the IntelliJ support page for an uninstallation guide. The official removal guide provides the list of support files that should be deleted. However, after using this guide, we reviewed a Mac and discovered more support files left on the disk.
- In this article, we will explain how to check a Mac for all of the remaining files of already deleted apps. You can do this manually or with the help of a third-party software tool.
- If you have any questions regarding this article or how our applications work, please reach out to Nektony’s support team.
So, complete the following three steps to uninstall the IntelliJ Mac version from your device:
- Quit IntelliJ.
- Remove the IntelliJ executable file. It could be IntelliJ IDEA.app or IdeaIC.app. Go to the Applications folder → select the .app file → make a right-click on it → select Move to Trash.
- The system might ask for your password to confirm the deletion. Enter your password and click OK.
- Then delete the service files of the IntelliJ application, which are stored in the Library folder. For this, in Finder, go to the menu bar and click Go → in the drop-down menu select Go to Folder.
- In the window that appears, type ~/Library/ and press Enter.
Here, in the Library folder, find and remove the subfolders, which are related to the IntelliJ app. Look for the following subfolders:
Note:Instead of JetBrains, you can have another product name depending on your version, for example, IntelliJIdea2018.2. So, consider this fact and when using this tutorial, look for ~/Library/
- ~/Library/Application Support/JetBrains
- ~/Library/Saved Application
/on your Mac.
- Once you remove all IntelliJ support files, empty the Trash bin to complete the application uninstallation.
If you have removed absolutely all of the IntelliJ support files, you can be sure that you uninstalled the application entirely. If you are not sure about that, use App Cleaner & Uninstaller which automatically finds all of the support files of applications and uninstalls them completely.
How to uninstall IntelliJ from Mac using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is software that allows you to uninstall any application from Mac with all of its service files. You do not have to manually search for service files and delete IntelliJ step by step. App Cleaner & Uninstaller will easily do this with just a few clicks. App Cleaner & Uninstaller helps to remove more than 1000 applications from your Mac safely and entirely.
Complete the following steps to uninstall IntelliJ on your Mac with App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Download and Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select the IntelliJ application.
- Click the Uninstall button.
- Review the items you are going to delete and confirm the deletion.
- Empty the Trash to uninstall the IntelliJ application completely.
Even if you are not a computer geek but want to get rid of an unneeded application, you can now do it correctly, thanks to this post. Furthermore, you can use App Cleaner & Uninstaller to automatically delete apps with their support files.