1. Duplicate File Finder is fast. It has a really fast scanning algorithm to find duplicate files.
2. It provides a possibility to find duplicate files in multiple different folders at a time. You can also scan of multiple disks.
3. Found duplicates are visualised as a bar chart.
4. Duplicates even in hidden folders can be found.
5. It offers Cleanup hints for removing duplicates in the fastest way.
6. It shows folder duplicates.
7. It finds similar folders – folders, that don’t have completely duplicate content.
8. It shows you visual progress of files selected for removal.
In the section “Similars” you see the folders that have both similar files and other files that are unique for every folder. Duplicate File Finder is the only app that finds similar folders.
Folder duplicates are the folders that have absolutely identical content, including files and subfolders. Similars are the folders that include both identical and unique files.
Sure. Duplicate File Finder makes it possible to get a list of duplicates that eat up disk memory most. In a left column choose Sort by Total Size and get a list of duplicates ordered by their total size (count*size).
Yes. To find duplicate by name just type the name in a search field. Duplicate File Finder will filter a list of duplicates by name.
Yes. Go to Duplicate File Finder Preferences from a menu bar, choose Skip List tab and add folders to this list.
Yes. Go to Duplicate File Finder Preferences from a menu bar and as well, add the files to Skip list.
When you remove duplicates with Duplicate File Finder By default files and folders go Trash. If you want to remove them permanently, go to the app Preferences and in a Remove tab enable Remove duplicates permanently option.
Yes. For this option you need to enable Remove empty folders in Preferences.
Auto Select button selects automatically duplicates that have in their names words such us “copy”, “copy 2”, “copy of”, etc. Such names are created by default when you copy a file and paste it in the same folder. To view any other duplicate files use “Select Any Copies” command.
Yes, you can search for duplicates even in hidden folders. Go to Duplicate File Finder Preferences and enable Scan Hidden Folders option .
Yes, however, by default this option is disabled. Go to application Preferences and enable the option Allow removing all duplicate copies in a Remove tab.
Yes. Duplicate File Finder provides a possibility to find duplicates at any disk that is readable on OS X operating system.
Yes. You can choose a specific folder to remove duplicates from. Open the context menu on any duplicate file and use the command “Add to Always Select List” or “Add to Never Select List.” You can also manage duplicate folders in the Preferences → Auto Select tab. Read more >>
Duplicate File Finder allows you to move duplicate files to the Trash by default. However, you might not have permission to do that. This may happen in the following cases:
- The file is being used by another program.
- You don’t have the necessary user account permission to remove it. To get the permission switch to Finder, select the file and use “Get info” command from the context menu or using Cmd+I key shortcut. Change the file permission in the Sharing & Permissions category.
If you are scanning an external storage, then the reasons for the message might be:
- Your external drive does not have a Trash bin yet. A Trash bin for external storage is created when you remove a file via Finder. So to resolve this issue you should remove any one file on external storage in Finder.
- Your disk is connected to your external storage as a read-only. This could happen, for example, if you have connected your disk with NTFS and don’t have a driver to write to NTFS. You should therefore install the necessary extension to allow removal of the duplicates. Read more >>
Yes, you can. Go to Menu Bar → click Window → History → select files and click to Restore. Read more >>
Yes, you can. Duplicate File Finder allows you to scan for duplicates on any readable drive on macOS. Read more >>
Sure. Sort the duplicates by size in the list of files, and preview the duplicates arranged according to their total size. You will find the duplicates which use the most disk space.
Yes. With the app you can merge Similar folders. For this, go to Similars tab → click Merge Folders → specify preferences and confirm merging. Read more >>
When you use the Select Duplicates in Folder feature, you compare different folders for identical files. The outside duplicate is a copy of your duplicate files kept in another folder.