The Mac’s performance speed depends on Mac memory volume. If any app you open on your system runs out of the memory, it may slow your Mac down. In this article, we will explain how to check Mac RAM usage and how to free up RAM to fix a slow Mac.
How to check the memory on Mac
Follow these steps to get Mac memory information:
- Go To Apple Menu (find the Apple sign in the top left corner of the screen).
- Select About This Mac.
- Here you can see how much memory is installed on your Mac.
On macOS Ventura, this panel has another design:
How to check memory usage by apps on Mac
There are different ways to check application memory usage on Mac. This tutorial covers two of them: using the Activity Monitor and using a special tool Memory Cleaner. Learn both of them and choose the easiest for you way to check memory usage and free up inactive RAM memory on Mac.
How to check memory usage on Mac with Activity Monitor
- Launch the Activity Monitor application. You can find it in the Launchpad.
- Switch to the Memory tab.
- Here you can view the detailed information about the memory usage by apps and all processes of your system. At the bottom of the window, you can see an amount of used memory, operation diagram and other information of RAM usage.
How to check memory usage on Mac with Memory Cleaner
You can view Mac memory usage with a free application Memory Cleaner. With Memory Cleaner you view how much RAM each application uses and clear inactive RAM memory.
- Launch Memory Cleaner
- Click the application icon in the toolbar. Here you will find the next information about memory on Mac:
- the total size of available RAM
- size of used RAM
- Memory usage by apps
How to free up RAM memory on Mac
The simplest way to free up RAM on Mac is to restart your computer. Restarting the system empties the RAM and disk caches and as a result, helps to fix a slow Mac. However, the idea of restarting the system each time you need to free up RAM is not the best choice. It is inconvenient at least since it interrupts your work on the computer. So read on to learn the best way to free up memory on Mac.
You can use Memory Cleaner to clear RAM on Mac with just one click. Also, the apps can automatically clear RAM each time your Mac is running out of free memory or each time you close apps that are using a lot of memory.
So follow these steps to free up RAM on Mac:
- Launch Memory Cleaner.
- Click on the application’s icon in the toolbar.
- Click Cleanup. It will take just a few seconds to complete the cleaning of Mac RAM memory.
Now you know how to check the memory on Mac and what to do when your Mac is running out of free memory. You can use a free Memory Cleaner for all these tasks. If clearing RAM didn’t help you to speed up your Mac, read our previous article 7 Steps to increase Mac’s speed.
FAQ about resetting on Mac
How to reduce Mac memory usage?
If you use a big number of apps at the same time, including startup programs, browser extensions, widgets and so on, this all use memory and as a result – slow down your Mac. So to reduce Mac memory usage use these short simple tips:
- Disable startup programs.
- Kill unwanted apps running in the background.
- Optimize your web browser by removing unneeded extensions.
- Close unneeded Finder windows.
- Monitor memory usage by apps and quit heavy memory consumers.
- Organize your desktop and clean up unnecessary icons from it.
- Free up inactive RAM with Memory Cleaner (click to download it.)
How to check how many GB of RAM do I have?
Go to Apple menu → select About this Mac → view how much memory you have in the Overview tab.
How to reset the admin password on Mac?
Use these simple tips to make your Mac run faster:
- Close the apps with a high CPU usage. You can check CPU with Activity Monitor.
- Manage your login items and stop apps from auto running.
- Reduce the number of browser extensions you use.
- Reduce icon on desktop.
- Clear cache files.
- Uninstall unused apps.
- Update your apps an the system.
- Free up RAM.
What is the best memory cleaner for Mac?
One of the best apps to optimize Mac’s performance is Memory Cleaner. The application is designed to speed up Mac by clearing inactive RAM. The app displays memory usage by apps, disk usage and allows to close or force quit separate apps with a high CPU usage.