Evernote is a popular virtual notebook, which allows users to write and view notes on any device and system. However, you might need to uninstall it from your computer. in this article, we will share a guide on how to uninstall Evernote from Mac entirely and correctly without leaving any remaining files.
- What is Evernote, and why delete it completely?
- How to manually uninstall Evernote from Mac.
- How to automatically uninstall Evernote from Mac.
- Frequently asked questions about Evernote.
Important notes and the methodology you should know about Evernote uninstallation
- Uninstalling Evernote on a computer does not delete your account. You can access your notes after reinstallation or on any other device using your Evernote account.
- The Evernote Help Centre says that you just need to drag and drop the application into the Trash for its uninstallation. However, that is wrong, and it does not remove the app completely.
- To completely uninstall Evernote from the computer, you also need to remove all of its service files.
- In this article, we will provide a complete guide on how to manually or, with the help of App Cleaner & Uninstaller, completely uninstall Evernote from Mac.
- If you have already removed Evernote, you will learn how to find Evernote’s remaining files.
What is Evernote, and why remove it completely?
Evernote is a personal virtual notebook that easily makes notes with text, images, audio files, and even small videos. The main convenience of the notebook is keeping all the necessary information in one place. Once you download the program on your computer, smartphone, or tablet, all your data sync with each other automatically, so you can
view your notes on any device.
It is undoubtedly a useful application. However, since its latest update, some users have complained about bugs and process failures when trying to open any note. If you have encountered the same problem, reinstallation might help you.
If you move the app’s icon to Trash and then try to reinstall Evernote, most likely, your Mac will tell you that the application is already installed. That’s why it is important to uninstall Evernote correctly and completely. Keep reading, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to remove Evernote from your Mac correctly.
How to manually uninstall Evernote from Mac
The manual uninstallation means that you will have to search for applications’ support files manually. By default, they should be stored in the Library folder. However, some applications can spread their files all over the mac’s hard drive. But don’t worry, we will explain how to find all of the remaining files of removed applications.
Steps on how to manually uninstall Evernote from Mac:
- Quit Evernote. You can do it right from the Dock Panel or click on the Evernote’s icon in the toolbar → click on the three dots icon → select Quit Evernote.
- If you use Evernote extensions, some options may still work in the background. Close them as well. Default Apple application called Activity Monitor. Run Activity Monitor → select Evernote’s processes → click to close them.
- Go to the Application folder and move the Evernote application into the Trash.
- Now, you need to remove Evernote’s service files. In Finder, press Shift+Command+G shortcut and navigate the ~/Library location using the search field. The tilde sign before the “Library” shows a reference to the home directory.
In the hidden Library folder, check the locations below and remove all files associated with Evernote:
- ~/Library/Application Scripts/
- ~/Library/Application Support/CrashReporter
With the help of a free application from Nektony called Funter, we check a Mac for all hidden support files and found files outside the hidden Library folder. So please, check also these locations for Evernotes’ support files:
- Once you removed all of the leftovers, empty the Trash to uninstall Evernote from your Mac completely.
As you can see, searching for applications’ support files is not an easy task. Also, you can miss some files or delete important service files that may damage your system. That’s why we recommend that you uninstall applications from Mac with a safe tool that automatically detects all of the support files. Such a tool is App Cleaner & Uninstaller from Nektony.
How to automatically uninstall Evernote from Mac
With App Cleaner & Uninstaller, you can completely uninstall Evernote or any other Mac application in just a few clicks. This application helps to remove programs on Mac, clear cache files, change extensions and even find leftovers of earlier removed apps.
Steps on how to easily uninstall Evernote from Mac:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Evernote.
- Click the Remove button and confirm the uninstallation.
If you have already removed Evernote, with App Cleaner & Uninstaller, you can find its remaining files. For this, switch to the appropriate section in the sidebar.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller provides a free trial for 1 day. After the trial period ends, you will be able to clear applications’ service files, and you will have to remove the executable files for a complete uninstallation manually. The Pro version of the uninstaller will let you complete the whole task in two clicks.
Frequently asked questions about Evernote
Will I lose my notes if I uninstall Evernote?
No. Uninstalling Evernote does not remove your notes. All notes are kept on Evernote servers. You can access your notes using your Evernote account at any time from any device.
Is Evernote free for Mac?
Evernote provides a free version with some limits: 60MB of new notes a month and the ability to synchronize only two devices. For additional storage space, devices to sync, and advanced features, you will have to pay.
What is the best alternative to Evernote?
There are many applications available for macOS that provide the same options as Evernote. Here is a shortlist of Evernote’s alternatives:
- Microsoft OneNote
- Apple Notes
- Google Keep
- Dropbox Paper