Origin is a digital distribution system that allows you to purchase computer games over the Internet and download them using the Mac Origin Сlient. The Origin platform is an alternative to the Steam program. Most users like the Origin app due to its social options: chatting with friends in the app, the in-game application integration on Facebook, Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. Also, the app provides the possibility of auto-update of the games and the synchronization of saved games state in the cloud storage.
If you suffer from a lack of disk memory and need to uninstall some unused app, including Origin, this article will teach you how to do it correctly and safely. Even if you just need to reinstall Origin, we recommend that you first remove it and then install Origin again.
How to Remove Origin
There are two ways you can uninstall programs on a Mac. You can do it manually or use special software tools for this task. If you don’t want to download any additional application, use the manual way. However note, that it may take a lot of time, especially when you need to uninstall a large number of apps. For those who prefer to save time, we recommend that you use a removal tool, for example, App Cleaner & Uninstaller. In this article, we will share two ways to uninstall Origin. It’s up to you which one to use.
Way 1 – Uninstall Origin Manually
Here are the required steps for uninstalling the Origin Client.
- Quit the Origin app.
- Find Origin in the Applications folder and move it to Trash.
- Then go to the Library folder to find and remove all the service files related to the Origin app. These files are usually located in the following folders:
- ~/Library/Application Support/Origin
If you don’t want to check each folder manually, use a free tool Show Hidden Files, which allows you to easily find and remove any file, including hidden service files.
- That’s about all. Just don’t forget to empty your Trash to get rid of Origin completely.
Way 2 – Remove Origin with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
The removal of apps with App Cleaner & Uninstaller is much easier and quicker, as the tool does all the previous work instead of you. You can download App Cleaner & Uninstaller from the Mac App Store absolutely for Free.
- Launch App Cleaner. It will start scanning your application folder and find all their service files. In several seconds, it will display the found items.
- Select the Origin app by ticking its checkbox.
- Then click the Remove button to completely uninstall Origin.
That’s all. As we promised, it’s easy and fast!
How to Delete the Origin Account
If you are sure that you will never need your account again, follow these steps to delete it.
- Go to the Origin official website and sign in your account.
- Go to the Contact Us section → choose the platform you use → select My Account → Delete Account.
- Then write the technical support in the live chat window that you want to delete your account.
4. The technical support staff may ask you some questions:
- E-mail address for the registered account
- Your Origin ID
- The answer to a secret question
In two weeks you will receive a letter and will be asked to confirm your intention to delete your account. After you delete your Origin account, you will lose access to all the games you downloaded from your account. Also, you will not be able to register a new account with this email.
We hope you’ve got all the answers to your questions regarding the Origin removal on your Mac. However, if you still have questions, don’t hesitate to ask in the comments below. We will be happy to assist you.