Docker is a package software used by developers for coding, shipment and deployment. Recently we found a question on the StackOverflow platform for developers, asking how to easily uninstall Docker on Mac and we have found no answer on the Docker help page. Since some users face a problem when trying to uninstall this app, we’ve decided to prepare a detailed step-by-step guide explaining two ways on how to fully and correctly remove Docker from Mac.
How to manually uninstall Docker on Mac
Every application creates support files on a computer so that all functions work properly. Somehow these files penetrate deeply into the system folders. That’s why simple moving the Docker application into Trash is not enough for a total deletion from the computer.
We recommend that you carefully follow all the steps provided below to completely uninstall Docker from your Mac.
- First close the Docker app.
- Make sure that there are no background running processes of Docker. For this, launch Activity Monitor and check all running processes on your Mac. If you find any process that has “Docker” in its name, select it and click the “X” button in the top left corner to close it.
- Go to the Applications folder in Finder and find and remove the Docker app to Trash.
- In Finder press the Command+Shift+G key shortcut. It will open the “Go to Folder” search field. Also, you can call this option from the menu bar – click on the Go menu → select “Go to Folder…”
- In the search field that appears, type ~/Library and click Go.
- Now you have access to the Library folder. Check its subfolders and remove all Docker’s service files you find there. First, check the Application Scripts folder. Here you can find the com.docker.helper folder. Select and remove it to Trash Bin.
- Then check the Caches folder and delete the com.docker.docker folder from there.
- Open the Containers folder in the Library folder, find com.docker.docker as well as com.docker.helper and delete them.
- Finally, to clean up all remains, that were created by Docker, check the following directories.
- ~/Library/Application Support/Docker Desktop
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.electron.docker-frontend.savedState
- ~/Library/Group Containers/group.com.docker
- ~/Library/Logs/Docker Desktop
- Once, you have removed all Docker support files, empty your Trash. The Docker app now is completely uninstalled from your Mac.
Now you need to find and remove all application support files of Docker. They are usually stored in the Library folder. As the system Library folder keeps important data, by default it is hidden from users. Keep on reading, we will explain how to get to the ~/Library location.
Please note, that some apps can spread out their service files in more hidden debris of Mac hard drive and it may be hard to find absolutely all service files. That’s why we recommend that you use an easier and safer way to uninstall apps on Mac. Keep on reading. Below we will share a software tool that can help to completely uninstall 1000+ apps on a Mac, including Docker.
How to remove Docker using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a software tool to completely remove programs from Mac. It automatically finds absolutely all apps’ leftovers and helps to uninstall apps with just two clicks. You can download and try App Cleaner & Uninstaller for free.
Here is how to uninstall Docker on Mac using App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Docker from the list of applications. All system files and folders related to this app will also be selected.
- Click to remove Docker.
- You will see the confirmation window. Click the Remove button to confirm uninstalling of the Docker app.
- And finally, empty the Trash to completely get rid of Docker and all its service files.
On the screenshot above you can see that Docker occupies 2.71 GB of Mac hard drive, while the executable file is only 1.34 GB. This means that there are gigabytes of service files related to Docker. That’s why it is so important to find and remove all support files of apps that you want to uninstall so that to keep your system clean from useless files.
Once again, App Cleaner & Uninstaller removes applications from Mac completely and safely in less than a minute. Download an uninstaller for Docker and other apps, and you will forget about seeking out unnecessary files on your computer or wasting so much time uninstalling programs manually.