The League of Legends is a popular game and most likely its fans never are going to uninstall it. However, there are some technical issues that might require you to reinstall League of Legends, or you just feel that you need to take a break from the game. In this article, I will provide a step-by-step guide on how to correctly and completely uninstall League of Legends on Mac.
Remove League of Legends Manually
Actually, the reason why I decided to write an uninstallation guide for League of Legends is a question on Reddit asking to help to solve the removal issue.
Before we start learning the two methods on how to entirely remove LoL from your machine, see the main reason you might need to get rid of the game.
Reasons why you might need to uninstall League of Legends:
- You need to free up space on your Mac. League of Legends takes up a huge space on the hard drive, and when it comes to running low on disk space, you can uninstall the biggest space consumers.
- You want to protect your Mac from hidden viruses. If you downloaded League of Legends from the official website, the risk of getting malware is minimal. Actually, it is believed that macOS is completely protected from viruses. However, viruses might get onto a computer. This is a reason why you might want to uninstall League of Legends from your Mac.
Read the article “Adware and Malware Removal on Mac.”
- You want to stop playing games and change your life habits. The game industry is growing very fast. You might want to try another online game or just stop spending your time playing at all.
I found no uninstallation instructions on the official League of Legends website. You also should know that simply moving applications to Trash is wrong. Such a way will not uninstall applications completely, and their traces will remain on Mac. Keep reading to learn how to do this correctly.
How to manually remove League of Legends on Mac
Here are the steps on how to manually uninstall League of Legends from your Mac:
- Quit League of Legends. For this, go to the Riot Client menu and select the Quit LeagueClient option.
- Go to the Applications folder, drag League of Legends into the Trash.
- Go to the system Library folder and find and remove support files of the game. For this, in Finder, press Command+Shift+G and type ~/Library in the search field. Hit Go.
Select and remove the League of Legends folder into Trash:
- ~Library/Application Support/Riot Games
- ~Library/Saved Application State/com.riotgames.LeagueofLegends.LoLPatcher.savedState
- Empty your Trash.
- Restart your Mac. The last step is not mandatory. However, it is recommended to make sure that you have removed the app entirely.
I should note the League of Legends developers surprised me that there are a tiny number of support files. Usually, applications create lots of support files and even spread them out all over the disk, making it extremely difficult to find and remove all of them. Anyway, I recommend that you also learn the automatic way of uninstalling the game since it is easier. Using this method allows you to completely uninstall 1000+ Mac applications.
The quickest way to uninstall League of Legends on Mac
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a tool to completely uninstall applications on a Mac, disable startup programs, remove leftovers of apps, and change default apps by file types. Follow these steps to uninstall League of Legends from your Mac:
- Quit League of Legends.
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- From the list of apps, select League of Legends.
- Click the Remove button.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is absolutely free to try. It provides a 7-day trial. You can download it and remove League of Legends from your Mac right now.