If you want to uninstall Eclipse on your Mac, follow this guide. We will share two methods of uninstalling the app on a Mac. Also, we will provide the Eclipse plugin deletion steps as a bonus.
- How to uninstall Eclipse on a Mac manually.
- How to delete it using an uninstaller.
- How to uninstall Eclipse plugin right from the app.
Before we start, watch a quick video.
Uninstall Eclipse manually
If you want to remove Eclipse on your Mac entirely, you will need to remove the app and all its leftovers, too. The leftovers are service files of already-deleted apps, which were created for the apps’ proper functioning. However, when you remove an executable file from your Mac, the useless service files remain on your disk even when they are no longer needed.
Follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to remove the Eclipse executable file. Depending on how you installed the program, this file may be stored in the Applications folder or in a separate folder it created in the Home directory. Find the eclipse folder → select the Eclipse.app file → remove it to Trash.
- Note that, the program settings are stored in the projects folder. If you do not need your projects anymore, you can find and delete the subfolder where they are stored.
Now you should find and remove the application’s service files, which are stored in your Library folder. To get access to it, open Finder → click Go in the menu bar → press Option and select Libraryin the drop-down menu.
- Check the following locations for the leftovers and delete all files associated to the program:
- Empty the Trash to delete the application entirely.
Delete Eclipse using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a software which helps to remove applications from a Mac completely. Thanks to its user-friendly interface, you can easily delete an app in less than a minute, instead of removing all files step by step. To uninstall Eclipse on your Mac with App Cleaner & Uninstaller, complete the following steps:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Choose Eclipse from the list of applications
- Click the Remove button. All its leftovers will be selected automatically.
- Review the items you are going to delete and confirm the removal.
Important: Despite the fact that the eclipse-workspace subfolder is related to the Eclipse application, App Cleaner & Uninstaller will not remove it. You can use your projects, even if you have already removed it. However, if you do not need the projects in eclipse-workspace subfolder, delete them manually.
And don’t forget to empty the Trash to complete the permanent removal.
How to uninstall Eclipse plugin right from the app
To delete the plugin on your Mac, follow the next steps:
- Launch the Eclipse application.
- Go to the menu bar, select About Eclipse in the drop-down menu. Click on the Installation Details button in the bottom left corner.
- In the Installed Software tab, select an Eclipse plugin you want to delete and click on the Uninstall button below the list of the items.
We use lots of applications but they all differ from one another. Some of them have their own installers and uninstallers, while others have stored service files in various folders, making it hard to find and delete them manually.
Therefore, if you want to remove an app from your Mac correctly and quickly, we recommend using App Cleaner & Uninstaller. As can be seen, it is an intuitive application, helping to quickly sort files to remove and keep on your Mac.