If you want to uninstall Eclipse on your Mac, follow this guide. We will share two methods of uninstalling Eclipse on a Mac. Also, we will provide the Eclipse plugin deletion steps as a bonus, because it is a related question.
- How to uninstall Eclipse on a Mac manually.
- How to uninstall Eclipse on a Mac using an uninstaller.
- How to uninstall Eclipse plugin right from the app.
Uninstall Eclipse manually
If you want to uninstall Eclipse on your Mac entirely, you will need to remove the app and all its leftovers, too. The leftovers are service files of already-deleted apps, which were created for the apps’ proper functioning. However, when you remove an executable file from your Mac, the useless service files remain on your disk even when they are no longer needed. Thus, to uninstall Eclipse on your Mac manually, complete the next steps:
- The executable file of the Eclipse app is not stored with other apps in the Applications folder. It creates a separate folder on your Mac. You will find it in the User folder. Open the eclipse folder → find and select the Eclipse.app file → remove it to Trash.
- You may also notice the delete subfolder in your Home folder. This folder is where all the created projects are stored. If you do not need them anymore, delete this subfolder as well.
Now you should find and remove the Eclipse service files, which are stored in the system Library folder. To get access to them, open Finder → click Go in the menu bar → select Go to Folder in the drop-down menu → type the directories to the files provided below and hit Go. Delete all the files associated with Eclipse.
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.eclipse.platform.ide.savedState
- Empty the Trash to delete the Eclipse application from your Mac entirely.
Uninstall Eclipse using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a software which helps to remove applications from a Mac completely. Thanks to its user-friendly interface, you can easily delete an app in less than a minute, instead of removing all files step by step. To uninstall Eclipse on your Mac with App Cleaner & Uninstaller, complete the following steps:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Choose Eclipse from the list of applications and click on the Remove button. All its leftovers will be selected automatically.
- Review the items you are going to delete and confirm the removal.
- Despite the fact that the eclipse-workspace subfolder is related to the Eclipse application, App Cleaner & Uninstaller will not remove it. You can use your projects, even if you have already removed Eclipse. However, if you do not need the projects in eclipse-workspace subfolder, delete them manually.
- And don’t forget to empty the Trash to complete the permanent removal.
How to uninstall Eclipse plugin right from the app
To uninstall Eclipse plugin on your Mac, follow the next steps:
- Launch the Eclipse application and click on Eclipse in the menu bar. Select About Eclipse in the drop-down menu. Click on the Installation Details button in the bottom left corner.
- In the Installed Software tab, select an Eclipse plugin you want to delete and click on the Uninstall button below the list of the items.
We use lots of applications but they all differ from one another. Some of them have their own installers and uninstallers, while others have stored service files in various folders, making it hard to find and delete them manually.
Therefore, if you want to remove an app from your Mac correctly and quickly, we recommend using App Cleaner & Uninstaller. As can be seen, it is an intuitive application, helping to quickly sort files to remove and keep on your Mac.