For some reason, you may need to remove Python interpreter. But some users face issues when trying to get rid of Python package, which is why we recommend that you read a complete and safe deletion guide on how to uninstall Python on your Mac to prevent any issue.
- How to uninstall Python manually.
- How to uninstall Python using Terminal.
- How to uninstall Python using App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
What is Python?
Python is an extremely simple and flexible language that allows developers to effectively solve the problems of scripting, rapid prototyping and research programming. Python began to be developed in the late eighties by the employees of the Dutch National Research Institute of Mathematics and Computer Science Guido van Rossum. Today, the support for Python is carried out by a team of developers of the same institution.
Python is used not only by IT professionals, developers and engineers but also by people involved in data mining and analytics in the field of Big Data.
Please note, Apple pre-installed and provided Python 2.7 in Mac OS X 10.8. If you use older versions of the Mac operating system but downloaded a new version of Python 3 from its official website, then you should be careful when trying to uninstall the program.
Never modify or delete files related to the pre-installed Python by Apple.
How to uninstall Python 3 manually
To uninstall Python 3 on Mac completely and safely, please follow the steps below.
- First, quit the application and close all running processes of Python in the background. This step is very important for a safe deletion of the program.
- Also, we recommend that you open Activity Monitor and check whether some processes are still active. Click the “x” button to close the Python processes.
- Then go to the Application folder in Finder and move Python to Trash. Please, make sure you remove the Python uninstall package entirely, not just separate files.
- Now we’ve come closer to the last important step – to find and remove all the service files Python has created while you were using it. The service files are stored in the Library folder.
In our case, we have found the following files in the Library’s subfolders:
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/org.python.idle.sfl
- ~/Library/Application Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/org.python.pythonlauncher.sfl
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.python.IDLE.savedState
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/org.python.PythonLauncher.savedState
Also, there are some hidden files in the User’s folder. You can view them only if you make all your hidden files visible. For this, use a free applicationFunter, which allows you to show and hide hidden files with one click.
List of Python hidden service files:
Once again, you would need to find all the service files of Python and move them to Trash. For this, you need to show hidden files using the Funter app.
But we understand that this task can be too complicated and just a waste of time because there are other ways to uninstall Python on Mac. Read on to learn more.
How to uninstall Python using Terminal
If you are familiar with the Terminal app, you can use command lines to uninstall Python from your Mac. For this, follow these steps:
- Move Python to Trash.
- Open the Terminal app and type the following command line in the window: ~ tanya sudo rm -rf /Applications/Python\ 3.6/
- It will require you to enter your administrator password to confirm the deletion.
Please note, we strictly do not recommend using this uninstalling method to users who are unfamiliar with Terminal commands.
If you are looking for the fastest and safest way to uninstall Python, you’d better use a special tool App Cleaner to handle this task.
How to uninstall Python using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is your efficient helper to uninstall any program on Mac quickly and easily. App Cleaner & Uninstaller automatically finds all the service files of apps so that you can be sure that the app was removed on your Mac completely without leaving any traces.
Also, if you have already deleted some apps the regular way, you can check whether their service files still remain on your hard drive, and you can get rid of them with several clicks. You can download App Cleaner & Uninstaller from our website.
Video Guide – How to remove application using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
Now let’s move to the detailed steps of Python deletion with the uninstaller tool:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller. In the left section of the window, you will see all the apps installed on your Mac.
- Find the Python among the apps. In the right section, you can view the list of all the support files, that we were searching for manually in the first part of the article.
- Then all you need do to uninstall Python is to click the Remove button and confirm the deletion.
- Also note, that App Cleaner & Uninstaller moves deleted files to Trash, so don’t forget to empty the Trash folder.
That’s all. We hope that it helped you to uninstall Python from your Mac computer and solve your uninstall issues. Let us know if you still have questions.