Anaconda is the most popular distribution of the Python and R programming languages. It can be run on Windows, Linux or Mac, and provides everything you need to solve data analysis and processing. If for some reason you came to a decision to remove Anaconda or simply need to reinstall the program, this article is for you.
This time we would like to explain how to safely uninstall Anaconda. You can remove Anaconda manually or do it with a special software tool. We will explain both options of managing Anaconda cleanup.
How to uninstall Anaconda manually
Generally, there are two possible ways to uninstall Anaconda manually.
- You can do it via Terminal as suggested on Anaconda official website.
- Or use our complete step-by-step uninstallation guide with screenshots.
Uninstallation way recommended by Anaconda official website
Anaconda’s official website recommends uninstalling their application using the Anaconda-Clean application that can be launched viaTerminal command. To do this, you should follow the steps below.
- Go to the Applications folder and move Anaconda into the Trash
- Launch Terminal
- Type in Terminal the following command:
- Press the Return key
- Then enter the following command:
- For removing Anaconda directory which can be named either anaconda2 or anaconda3 enter the appropriate command:
- The last step is to remove Anaconda-Clean backups. For this type up the following command into Terminal:
conda install anaconda-clean
rm -rf ~/anaconda3
rm -rf ~/.anaconda_backup
Please note that this removal method may leave Anaconda service files on your Mac. That is why we recommend that you use our detailed guide that is given below. Since we have specialized in Mac cleaning applications for many years, we regularly check which files Mac applications create and where they are stored. Based on our experience, we have compiled for you a detailed guide on how to remove Anaconda from a Mac completely. There we have listed all the places where you need to look for Anaconda’s remainings . This method is presented below.
Follow these steps to uninstall Anaconda from Mac:
- Quit the Anaconda application.
- Open the Activity Monitor app and in the Memory tab, check whether Anaconda is running any background processes. If so, сlick the Сlose button in the upper left corner to terminate the processes.
- Remove the Anaconda app from the Applications folder in Finder.
- After that, it’s time to find out where Anaconda keeps its package service files and remove them. Most of them are stored in the Library folder. However, the Library folder is the hidden one, so to find it you have to open the Finder window → click Go in the menu bar → choose Go to Folder.
- Type the following directions there and remove files that you will find.
Depending on the user settings and operations you performed with Anaconda, some other Anaconda service files may be left behind. Therefore, it is better to check the following directories and remove all files related to Anaconda.
- ~ / Library / Containers /
- ~ / Library / Application Support /
- ~ / Library / Logs /
- ~ / Library / Application Scripts /
- ~ / Library / Caches /
- ~ / Library / Preferences
Not to do it all manually and save your time, you may use the free tool from Nektony: Funter.
To find Anaconda remaining files with Funter you should launch the app → enter the word Anaconda into the search line → check the results and delete all hidden files that are related to the Anaconda application.
With the help of Funter, we managed to find this list of useless Anaconda remains:
Finally, you need to empty the Trash folder. This is the last step to uninstall Anaconda manually.
Uninstall Anaconda using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
The manual search for service files of apps, especially if they are scattered on a hard drive, is inefficient. You may miss some files and it takes a fair amount of time. That’s why we recommend that you uninstall Anaconda automatically.
The automatic method requires using a special free cleanup utility application – App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This software automatically collects all the service files of each app and allows you to uninstall them with one click. Here is how to use it to uninstall Anaconda (Python 3):
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Find the Anaconda application in the Applications tab.
- Click the Remove button, and in the next window confirm the deletion.
After you select the Anaconda you will see all the application’s support files in the right section of the window.
In case you previously removed Anaconda manually and you are not sure whether you removed all of the remaining files: The Remaining Files section of App Cleaner & Uninstaller will help you. Moreover, you might use this feature to find the remains of other previously-removed apps as well. Just switch to the Remaining Files tab to find all applications’ leftovers stored on your Mac.
Video Guide: How to uninstall unneeded applications on a Mac
The manual way of uninstalling Anaconda is quite time-consuming. Moreover, it never guarantees that you get rid of all the service files, because sometimes they can be spread all over your hard drive.
That is why we recommend you using a professional uninstaller App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This software will help you if you can’t uninstall Anaconda manually or just prefer not to waste your time, and work on much more interesting tasks.
We hope this exhaustive guide has answered all of your questions about how to uninstall Anaconda on a Mac. However, if you’d like to know more, just ask our support team.