In our previous article, we shared a guide on how to uninstall Python on a Mac. Today we would like to explain how to safely uninstall Anaconda. Anaconda is an open package manager and distribution of Python, which is widely-used for processing volumetric data, scientific calculations and predictive analysis. Basically, the package is intended for researchers, developers, business analysts, as well as for those who work in DevOps. You can remove Anaconda manually or do it with a special software tool. In this article, we will explain both options of managing Anaconda cleanup.
- How to uninstall Anaconda manually?
- How to uninstall Anaconda with several clicks?
- Video guide – how to remove Anaconda.
How to Uninstall Anaconda Manually
- First, quit the Anaconda app.
- Then open the Activity Monitor app and in the Memory tab, check whether there are Anaconda processes running in the background. If so, click to select them, then use Force Quit to terminate them.
- Now you can remove the Anaconda app from the Applications folder.
- After that, it’s time to find out where Anaconda is located andremove package service files. Most of them are stored in the Library folder.
Also, thanks to Funter, we have found hidden service files related to Anaconda, which were located outside the Library.
*Funter is a free app which allows you to show hidden files and search for hidden files.
Here is a list of useless remains of Anaconda:
The last step to uninstall Anaconda manually is to empty the Trash folder.
How to Uninstall Anaconda using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
The manual search for service files of apps, especially if they are scattered on a hard drive, is inefficient. You may miss some files and it takes a fair amount of time. That’s why we recommend that you use a free application, App Cleaner & Uninstaller, which automatically collects all the service files of each app and allows you to uninstall them with one click. App Cleaner & Uninstaller provides a free trial. Here is how to use it to uninstall Anaconda (Python 3).
- Open App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Find the Anaconda application in a list of your apps displayed in the left section and select it. In the right section of the window, you will see all the Anaconda support files.
- Then click the Uninstall or Remove button and confirm the deletion.
Video Guide: How to Uninstall Anaconda on a Mac
Easy! Fast! Safe!
In case you previously removed Anaconda manually and you are not sure whether you removed all of the remaining files, you can use App Cleaner & Uninstaller. You might want to take the opportunity to find the remains of other previously-removed apps as well. Just switch to the Remains tab to find such Remains.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller
We hope this exhaustive guide has answered all of your questions about how to uninstall Anaconda on a Mac. But if you’d like to know more, just ask our support team.