Sophos Antivirus is a free utility that protects a Mac from malware, dangerous websites, and viruses. Many users face issues when trying to uninstall Sophos from a Mac computer or still get notifications from the antivirus even after its removal. In this article, we will provide two ways on how to uninstall Sophos Home from Mac completely and safely without leaving its remaining files behind.
- How to uninstall Sophos from Mac using its removal tool.
- How to remove Sophos Home using App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
Uninstallation notes and methodology used in this article:
- To completely uninstall Sophos from Mac, you have to remove its executable files and all support files that it creates and stores on your Mac’s hard drive.
- Before writing this article, we checked the official Sophos removal instruction and discovered that this method does not uninstall Sophos Home from Mac completely. After the uninstallation, we found its remaining files on Mac’s disk.
- We used App Cleaner & Uninstaller to check Mac for Sophos remaining files.
- In this article, we will provide steps on how to completely uninstall TeamViewer from Mac manually and with the help of App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
How to Uninstall Sophos Antivirus on Mac
As we mentioned before, the native Sophos Home removal tool leaves the remaining files on a Mac. So please, follow every step from this guide to completely uninstall Sophos antivirus from your Mac.
Steps on how to uninstall Sophos Home from Mac:
- Go to the Applications folder and run the Remove SophosHome tool from there. If you can’t find it there, try to search for it using the Spotlight or download it from the Sophos website.
- In the appeared window click on Continue. If prompted, enter your user password and click OK.
- In a while, you will see the message that Sophos was successfully uninstalled. However, you are not done yet. Now, you need to find and remove Sophos’ support files.
- Open Finder and press Command+Shift+G keys on your keyboard. In the appeared field copy and paste ~/Library and click on Go.
Here in the Library folder check the list of folders below for files associated with Sophos Home. Remove all Sophos remaining files.
- ~/Library/Application Support
- ~/Library/Application Scripts
- Once you remove all Sophos remaining files, empty the Trash and reboot your Mac. If you removed all Sophos support files, then the antivirus is uninstalled completely.
Remove Sophos Home with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a tool that completely uninstalls applications from Mac and removes remaining files of incorrectly uninstalled applications.
Here are the easy steps on how to uninstall Sophos using App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Sophos Home among the scanned apps. Make sure that you select both executable and support files.
- Click the Remove button and confirm the action. Sophos will be completely uninstalled from your Mac.
If you have already removed Sophos using its native removal tool, then go to the Remaining Files tab and remove Sophos’ leftover files from there.
You can try out App Cleaner & Uninstaller for free. Click to download it and completely uninstall Sophos from your Mac.