With the macOS Mojave release, the dark mode feature has impressed Mac users worldwide. This time around, it not only darkens the lower menu bar like in previous versions, but also makes your applications- and practically every corner of your Mac- dark.
Although many users still prefer the lighter version, embracing the dark side can be somewhat refreshing and a great change for your eyes, especially if you are working in a shadowy environment.
Pros and Cons of Dark Mode
Before you proceed with switching to Dark Mode on your macOS, you might want to weigh the pros and cons to see if it’s worth it. We’ve elaborated on some of the points that we think our readers should take into consideration when it comes to Dark Mode.
- ✓ It can potentially take some pressure off your eyes. This can be especially relevant if you happen to use your Mac during the night or when it’s dark. One of the main reasons Dark Mode is implemented in computers and mobile devices is to reduce eye strain.
- ✓ It looks slick and appeals to a wide audience. Many people choose to use the Dark Mode feature simply because of the aesthetics and not much more than that. With so many Mojave macOS features, a quick switch to Dark Mode is definitely something you should try out.
- 𐄂 Poor readability. While Dark Mode might seem like a great idea at first, reading bright characters on a dark background can be challenging for some people. So if you’re about to go through large chunks of texts, we would advise using a light theme instead.
- 𐄂 It can drain the battery more quickly than usual. Although there are many arguments both for and against this statement, with a little research you will see that many users have reported their battery life taking a significant hit after switching to Dark Mode. The main reason for this is that LCD displays require more energy to produce black colors, whereas light colors are the easiest to produce.
Now you know both the good and bad sides of Dark Mode, we will show you step-by-step how you can easily switch it on when you need to.
How to switch to Dark Mode
Simply follow the step-by-step guide below to see how you can enable Dark Mode on your maсOS.
- Head to and click on .
- To the right where it says , simply enable on your Mac.
You can also use the accent color to change the button colors, as well as a few other features in the same section.
How to enable Night Shift
Night Shift is another feature designed to reduce pressure on your eyes during evening hours. While macOS’s Dark Mode does make it easier on your eyes, Night Shift goes further by changing the display screen’s color temperature, which in turn reduces the amount of blue light. Follow the instructions below to try the Night Shift mode and see how it works for you:
- Open your and click on the icon.
- Select the tab and mark the checkbox where it says .
Alternately, you can schedule the Night Shift mode to turn on automatically. See the steps below:
- Go to System Preferences.
- Click on Display and head over to the Night Shift tab.
- You can click on the drop-down menu near Schedule and set it either as Custom or Sunset to Sunrise.
- If you choose to set it as Custom, simply enter the time range.
Night Shift’s final feature is its ability to adjust the color temperature to your liking. Simply move the arrow icon either left or right, depending on which you find more appealing.
Use Memory Cleaner to optimize battery usage
Memory Cleaner is an app that helps clean your RAM and optimize your Mac’s speed. This is especially important if you plan to use Dark Mode on a frequent basis. When you have the ability to clear up your Mac’s RAM, you won’t need to worry about Dark Mode taking too much power. Simply try out Memory Cleaner while using the macOS Dark Mode to feel the difference yourself!
- Launch the Memory Cleaner app.
- Click on Cleanup and simply wait while the application cleans up unused RAM to optimize your Mac.
- You can also click on the Arrow icon to see how much RAM is taken up by the apps in the list, and rightclick to quit or force quit them.
As you can see, the whole process is pretty straightforward and with just one simple click, you can save at least a few GB of RAM memory.
Memory Cleaner for Mac
As mentioned previously, Dark Mode is one of the many great macOS features that is endorsed by millions of Mac users for its sleek design. The fact that it can make using your Mac a bit easier on your eyes makes it even more attractive. Whether you consistently use the Dark Mode feature or not is entirely up to you. Nevertheless, we would suggest trying it out at least once to see for yourself, and make sure to have Memory Cleaner installed on your Mac to prevent a drop in performance.