If you need to remove BitTorrent from your Mac, read this article. We will share two methods on how to completely and correctly uninstall BitTorrent Web or BitTorrent Classic from Mac.
- How to uninstall BitTorrent manually.
- How to uninstall BitTorrent using App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Frequently asked questions about BitTorrent.
Uninstallation notes and techniques used in this article
- There are two versions of BitTorrent for Mac – the classic version and the web version. Each of these products has its own support files. This article will explain how to completely uninstall BitTorrent Web with all of its support files. The same steps you can use to uninstall BitTorrent Classic.
- Before writing this article, we checked the BitTorrent website for an uninstallation guide and found nothing. That’s why we decided to prepare a complete removal guide for those users who need to uninstall BitTorrent from Mac.
- This article will explain how to find applications’ support files manually and how to do this automatically with a few clicks.
- We used App Cleaner & Uninstaller from Nektony to find BitTorrent’s remaining files.
How to uninstall BitTorrent manually
The manual method of BitTorrent uninstallation means that you will have to manually find and remove its support files. By default, these files are hidden. We will show you how to find all of the BitTorrent’s support files and not to leave its unwanted remaining files on your Mac.
Steps on how to manually uninstall BitTorrent from Mac:
- Quit BitTorrent if it’s opened.
- Go to the Applications folder and delete BitTorrent from there.
- In Finder, press Sift+Commad+G (⌘+⇧+G ) to open the “Go to the Folder” panel.
- Navigate the home Library folder, where applications store their support files. For this, type ~/Library In the search field and press Enter.
Here in the Library folder, remove all items related to BitTorrent. Check the following directories for BitTorrent support files.
- ~/Library/Application Support/BitTorrent Web
- As soon as you remove all the service files of BitTorrent, empty the Trash and restart your Mac. BitTorrent will be completely uninstalled from your Mac.
Note, sometimes applications can spread their support files all over your disk. It might be quite hard and confusing to find all of the remaining files. That’s why we recommend that you uninstall applications from Mac with a special utility called App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
How to uninstall BitTorrent using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller will help you remove BitTorrent from your Mac completely and in just a few clicks. It automatically finds all the service files of each application installed on a Mac. You can also use App Cleaner & Uninstaller to check your Mac for the remaining files of already removed applications.
Steps on how to completely uninstall BitTorrent from Mac:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select BitTorrent from the list of apps.
- Click the Remove button.
- Confirm the uninstallation.
If you have already removed BitTorrent manually, go to the Remaining Files section to find its leftover files.
Frequently asked questions about BitTorrent
Is BitTorrent safe for Mac?
The BitTorrent application itself is safe to install on Mac. However, you should be careful when downloading and opening files that might attack your system.
Is BitTorrent illegal?
BitTorrent is a legitimate file transferring software. Torrenting itself is legal. However, downloading files without copyrights is illegal.
How do I install BitTorrent on my Mac?
You can download the BitTorrent installation files from the official website.
How do I completely uninstall BitTorrent from my Mac?
Use App Cleaner & Uninstaller to completely remove BitTorrent from your Mac.