Spotify is a digital music service that gives you access to millions of songs. However if for some reason you need to uninstall Spotify on your Mac, we recommend that you first learn how to do it correctly and completely. In this article, we will share two methods on how to remove Spotify from your Mac.
Before starting to write the uninstallation guide for Spotify, we first visited the official website of Spotify and checked their app removal tutorial. Spotify help page suggests the users that they first remove the application’s cache files and then remove the application’s executable file to Trash. However, we followed these steps and detected that there are more support files Spotify have created that are stored in your system. For complete Spotify uninstallation you have to find and remove absolutely all support files of the app.
Please, carefully follow our step-by-step guide to make sure you completely uninstalled Spotify from your Mac.
Read also “How to stop Spotify from opening at Mac Startup.”
How to manually uninstall Spotify from Mac
The manual way of application uninstallation requires some time, dedication and attention. You will have to find and remove all support files of the application to uninstall it completely.
Here are the steps on how to manually uninstall Spotify:
- Close Spotify and all its background processes. For this, go to the Menu bar, click on Spotify and select Quit Spotify. Also, you can open Activity Monitor and check for Spotify running processes on your Mac. If you find any, click to close them.
- Go to the Applications folder and remove Spotify into the Trash.
- Now you need to find all the service files of the app and delete them. The support files are usually stored in the hidden Library folder. Open Finder and press the Command+G key combination.
- In the search field type ~/Library and hit Go.
Here in the Library folder, find and remove all support files of Spotify. Check the following locations for those files:
- ~Library/Application Support/Spotify
- ~Library/Saved Application State/com.spotify.client.savedState
- Once you have removed all remaining files of Spotify, empty your Trash to completely get rid of Spotify on your Mac.
Please note, some apps may spread their service files all over your hard drive. It can be not so easy to find all service files. You can use a free application Funter which can help you to find hidden service files by the application’s name.
However, we recommend that you use a safe and professional tool that will automatically find all support files for each app and allow you to uninstall programs with just a few clicks. Keep reading to learn more about the easiest way to uninstall Spotify on Mac.
Completely delete Spotify using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is an application that completely uninstalls other apps on Mac with all their service files.
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Spotify from the list of apps.
- Click the Remove button and confirm removal.
Please note, if you have removed Spotify in a standard way by moving it into the Trash, with App Cleaner & Uninstaller you can find the remaining files. For this, switch to the appropriate section from the sidebar, select and remove all app’s leftovers from your Mac.