Lots of current messengers have a desktop version for the user’s convenience. WhatsApp is not an exception – it has a WhatsApp Web client for Mac. You can easily install it and synchronize with your smartphone to be in touch on both devices. But if for any reason you want to delete WhatsApp on your Mac, we are glad to share two methods of uninstalling.
Method 1 – Uninstall WhatsApp Manually
It is not complicated to remove the WhatsApp Mac client. However, it takes some time because you should not only delete the executable file, but also all the service files related to WhatsApp on your Mac. As you know, applications create additional files in system folders for proper functioning. Unfortunately, when you delete an app’s executable file from your Mac, all its service files remain on your computer. Therefore, you will have to remove all WhatsApp leftovers manually. For this, complete the following steps:
- Quit WhatsApp.
- Open the Applications folder, find the WhatsApp.app file, right-click and move it to Trash.
- Remove the leftovers of WhatsApp in the Library system folder. This folder is hidden by default to prevent accidental deletion of useful system files. So, you should carefully remove only the files that are related to the WhatsApp application in coinciding directories. First, get access to the Library folder: open Finder → click Go in the menu bar → select Go to Folder in the drop-down menu → type ~/Library/ and click Go.
- Find and remove all useless files and folders related to WhatsApp using the following path:
- ~/Library/Application Support/WhatsApp/
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/WhatsApp.savedState/
To complete the WhatsApp application removal, empty the Trash bin.
Method 2 – Uninstall WhatsApp Automatically
If you want to save time and are afraid of accidentally removing critical files on your Mac, try an automatic way of uninstalling WhatsApp for laptop. It is made possible thanks to special uninstallers like App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This software helps to remove more than 1,000 applications on a Mac.
To remove the WhatsApp Web desktop client from your Mac using App Cleaner & Uninstaller, complete the next steps:
- Quit WhatsApp.
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select WhatsApp from the list of applications and click on the Uninstall button next to the app. All remaining WhatsApp files will be selected automatically.
- Preview the items you want to delete and click on the Remove button.
- Empty the Trash bin to complete the uninstalling.
You can uninstall the WhatsApp Mac app on your computer manually or automatically. Either way, we recommend uninstalling apps on your Mac completely. Do not leave useless fragments of applications because they take up space on your Mac. If you want to uninstall WhatsApp or other apps on your Mac correctly and entirely, use App Cleaner & Uninstaller.