Spotify is one of the most popular music services, which provides legal access to a huge music catalog and the ability to play tracks online without having to buy them. When you launch Spotify for the first time, it shows a notification with a proposal to open the app automatically at Mac startup. If you are one of those users who have accepted the login option, and now have no idea how to stop Spotify from opening on Startup. Then, this article is for you.
There are several ways to stop Spotify from running automatically when you turn your Mac on. We will provide all of them.
- Stop Spotify auto-login using the app’s settings.
- Stop Spotify auto-login using System Preferences.
- The easiest way to stop Spotify auto-login.
Stop Spotify from opening on Mac’s startup using the app’s settings
Before starting to prepare a step-by-step guide explaining how to stop Spotify from opening automatically on a desktop device, we have made a deep research on the Spotify Help page and found nothing about this question. The only place where we found an answer was the Spotify Community, where one of the members provided the solution. However, there are no screenshots and some users might find it not so clear.
So please, follow our detailed guide and steps featured by screenshots to stop Spotify opening on startup:
- Open the Spotify app. In the top right corner, you can see your account icon. Click the arrow button to open the drop menu. Select Settings.
- Scroll all the way down and you will see the option to Show Advanced Settings. Here click on the Show Advanced Settings button. It will open more setting options for Spotify.
- Scroll down and find the Startup and Window Behavior section. Set “No” next to the “Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer.”
- Relaunch Spotify.
After these steps, Spotify should no longer auto-open on your system startup. However, we recommend that you keep on reading and learn two more ways on how to disable unwanted login items on Mac. Firstly, it may happen that this method does not help. Secondly, below you will find an ultimate solution to easily disable any login item or launch agent and take control of all startup applications on your Mac.
Stop Spotify from opening on startup using System Preferences
Apple allows you to take control over all login items through System Preferences. You can learn more about changing Mac login options on the macOS user guide. Below, you will see the steps of removing Spotify from the login items on Mac.
- Go to the Apple Menu → select System Preferences.
- Go to the Users & Groups section and switch to the Login Items tab.
- You will see the list of items that open automatically when you log in. Select Spotify and click on the “Minus (ー)” button to remove it.
- Relaunch Spotify. Now it will not be launched when you restart your machine.
Now, let’s move to the easiest way on how to stop Spotify from auto-launching.
The easiest way to stop Spotify opening on Mac startup
The quickest way to change what opens on Mac startup is to use a special software App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This app is designed to completely uninstall apps on Mac, but besides its main purpose, it has a great feature to manage login items and launch agents on Mac.
Here is how to stop Spotify from opening on Mac startup using App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Open App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Go to the Startup Programs tab.
- Find and select the Spotify login item in the Login Items section.
- Click to Remove it.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a convenient tool where you can take a look at all your Mac extensions, change their mode or remove them, and you do it all in one window. Now it’s not a problem to stop any application on Mac running on Mac startup.