Spotify is one of the most popular music services out there, which provides legal access to a huge music catalog and the ability to play tracks online without having to buy them. When you launch Spotify for the first time, it shows a notification with a proposal to open the app automatically at Mac startup. If you are one of those users who have accepted the login option, and now have no idea how to stop Spotify from opening on Startup. Then, this article is for you.
We will provide a step-by-step guide on how to stop Spotify from running automatically when you turn your Mac on. You can do this in several ways. We will provide all of them.
- Stop Spotify auto-login using the app’s settings.
- Stop Spotify auto-login using System Preferences.
- The easiest way to stop Spotify auto-login.
Stop Spotify from opening on Mac’s startup using the app’s settings
Before starting to prepare a step-by-step guide explaining how to stop Spotify from opening automatically on a desktop device, we have made a deep research on the Spotify Help page and found nothing about this question. The only place where we found an answer was the Spotify Community, where one of the members provided the solution. However, there are no screenshots and some users might find it not so clear.
A detailed guide and steps featured by screenshots to stop Spotify from opening on startup:
- Open the Spotify app. In the top right corner, you can see your account icon. Click the arrow button to open the drop menu. Select Settings.
- Scroll all the way down and you will see the option to Show Advanced Settings. Here click on the Show Advanced Settings button. It will open more setting options for Spotify.
- Scroll down and look for the Startup and Window Behavior section. Set “No” next to the “Open Spotify automatically after you log into the computer.”
- Relaunch Spotify.
After these steps, Spotify should no longer auto-open on your system startup. However, we recommend that you keep on reading and learn two more ways on how to disable unwanted login items on Mac. Firstly, it might happen that this method does not help. Secondly, below you will find an ultimate solution to easily disable any login item or launch agent and take control of all startup applications on your Mac.
Stop Spotify from opening on startup using System Preferences
Apple allows you to take control over all login items through System Preferences. You can learn more about changing Mac login options on the macOS user guide.
See the steps of removing Spotify from the login items on Mac:
- Go to the Apple Menu → select System Preferences.
- Go to the Users & Groups section and switch to the Login Items tab.
- You will see the list of items that open automatically when you log in. Select Spotify and click on the “Minus (ー)” button to remove it.
- Relaunch Spotify. Now it will not be launched when you restart your machine.
If Spotify still launches automatically at Mac startup even after removing the Spotify login item in the macOS preferences, try to completely remove it using App Cleaner & Uninstaller. So, let’s move to the easiest way on how to stop Spotify from auto-launching.
The easiest way to stop Spotify from opening on Mac startup
The quickest way to change what opens on Mac startup is to use special software called App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This app is designed to completely uninstall apps on Mac, but besides its main purpose, it has a great feature that helps you to manage login items and launch agents on Mac.
Here is how to stop Spotify from opening on Mac startup using App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Open App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Go to the Startup Programs tab.
- Find and select the Spotify login item in the Login Items section.
- Click the blue Remove button.
- Download Spotify from its official website www.spotify.com/download.
- Double-click on the downloaded file and continue through the provided installation steps.
- Once the installation is finished, log in using your account or create a new one.
- Run Spotify and in the Menu Bar click on Spotify.
- From the drop-down menu select About Spotify.
- In the appeared window you will see the information about the version you use and available updates. If a new version is available, it will show a link to download the latest version.
- Click to download the latest version of the app. It will download and update Spotify.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a convenient tool where you can take a look at all your Mac extensions, change their mode or remove them, and you can do it all in just one window. Now it’s not a problem to stop any application on Mac running on Mac startup.
Frequently asked questions about Spotify
How to get Spotify for Mac?
You can get Spotify from the official website or download it from download archives. However, we recommend that you always download applications for your Mac from trusted websites only.
Is Spotify on the Mac App Store?
Spotify is not distributed on the Mac App Store. You can download the application from Spotify’s website.
How do I update Spotify on my Mac?
Check Spotify for updates by following these steps:
How do I completely remove Spotify from my Mac?
To completely uninstall Spotify from Mac, you need to remove its executable file and all its remaining files from the ~/Library folder. Also, you can completely uninstall Spotify with the help of App Cleaner & Uninstaller. Read our step-by-step guide on how to completely and correctly uninstall Spotify from Mac.
Does uninstalling Spotify delete downloaded songs?
When you uninstall Spotify from Mac, the downloaded songs are also removed. However, note that the playlists and favorites will stay in your account and you can re-download them after the next installation or on a different device.
Spotify keeps crashing on Mac. How to fix it?
Many users claim that Spotify keeps crashing on their Macs and they see a message “An unexpected error occurred.” To fix this issue, try to reset Spotify or completely uninstall it with all of its service files. Then reinstall Spotify again. This will help to stop Spotify from crashing on a Mac. You can reset Spotify or completely uninstall it with App Cleaner & Uninstaller.