Steam is one of the most popular stores of digital games. It is mostly oriented on the Windows platform, but there is a version with games for Mac as well. A special feature of Steam for Mac in that it is a client. Using Steam you can browse the library of the game, as well as run the downloaded games. The client takes 630 MB of space and game nowadays even more. So if you need to free up some space on your disk, follow this guide on how to uninstall Steam from your Mac.
How to Uninstall Steam on Mac Manually
To completely remove Steam from your Mac do the following:
- Firts, remove Steam from the Applications folder.
- Then find and delete the service files of Steam, which are stored in the following directories on your hard drive:
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user] > ~Library > Application Support > Steam
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user] > ~Library > Saved Application State > com,valvesoftware.steam.savedState
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user] > ~Library > Preferences > com.valvesoftware.steam.helper.plist
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user] > ~Library >Logs >DiagnosticReports > steam_…
- Macintosh HD > Users > [current user] > ~Library > Application Support > CrashReporter > steam_… (2 files full name depends from date and your Mac, so just look for “steam” in the beginning)
3. Then emty your Trash and reboot your Mac.
If you can’t find the support files of Steam, use the automatic method to remove the app with all its files.
How to Uninstall Steam on Mac Automatically
You can use our free application App Cleaner & Uninstaller, which will remove any application with all its system files in several clicks. The uninstaller automatically finds all caches, preferences, logs, crash reports and other files of each app, so you don’t have to manually search for them.
- Launch the uninstaller.
- Select Steam from the list of applications. As you can see on the screenshot, the Steam folder holds 14 GB with only 1 a game. Thus, Steam stores incredible amounts of data in its container and even hidden system folders. They are displayed in the right section.
- Click the Remove button and confirm the deletion.