The Mackeeper app promises to protect your Mac from viruses and make your system run faster. Well, that sounds great. However, the program is also known for its overly aggressive marketing strategy, hanging annoying ads everywhere and once too often. If you are one of the “lucky” ones who has installed MacKeeper and now wants to remove it, follow this article to learn how to do that.
Remove MacKeeper Manually
- Go to Finder → Applications.
- Open MacKeeper and Quit it with a keyboard shortcut CMD + Q.
- Drag Mackeeper to the Trash.
- When the uninstalling window appears, click the Uninstall button.
Congratulations! You’ve completed the first step but that’s not the finish.
MacKeeper company states on its website that deleting the program in the Uninstalling window removes all related service files. However, if you check the Library folder you may find some hidden service files that are still left on your Mac. So to remove Mackeeper completely, follow the next few steps:
- Open Finder
- In the Menu Bar click Go → Go to Folder.
- Type in a search field ~/Library/ and click Go.
- Check the following files and folders of MacKeeper and delete them
- ~/Library/Application Support/MacKeeper Helper
Finally, MacKeeper has been uninstalled on your computer.
The second way to remove Mackeeper is much easier, faster and safer. You will need a special software app called App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
Delete MacKeeper with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
- Download App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Launch the program to start scanning all your applications.
- Find MacKeeper in the list of apps and click the Remove button.
App Cleaner helps to remove apps together with all their service files in just one click.
That’s all. As we promised it’s easy and fast. In fact, you can use App Cleaner for uninstalling any application on Mac.