Bitdefender for Mac is a software that protects computers from viruses and other Internet threats. It provides a 30 day free trial, so most users can easily decide to have a try and install it on their Macs. Well, actually the decision to protect a Mac is not bad. However, if the software doesn’t suit you for some reasons and you want to uninstall it, you may face a problem – it is not so easy to uninstall Bitdefender. If you enter the request “How to uninstall Bitdefender” on Mac, you will see that a lot of users are unable to uninstall Bitdefender completely. Here’s a typical one:
This application is not listed in my apps, nor does it ship with an uninstaller I can locate. Here’s what I tried so far in order to get it to stop running, so I could safely delete the program from disk, but it didn’t help:
sudo ps aux | grep -i endpoint
sudo launchctl list | grep -i bitdefender
for each bitdefender product listed: sudo launchctl remove
The application ran again after reboot.
(source – https://apple.stackexchange.com)
In fact, most antiviruses leave junk files on the computer after being deleted. These files can be in the form of launch agents, login items, and other system extensions. Some antiviruses provide their uninstallers that can clean up the system, but even they are not always helpful in solving the problem. We have already reviewed how to uninstall Avast, Norton, and Mackeeper antiviruses. Today it’s time to tell how to completely remove Bitdefender from Mac.
How to uninstall Bitdefender manually
- Turn off the Bitdefender autopilot and quit the program.
- Open the Finder window → go to the Applications folder → Utilities. Find there the Bitdefender uninstall tool and launch it.
- You will see a popup window about application removal. Click on the Uninstall button.
- The system will ask you confirm the process. Type your password and click OK.
- Then the uninstalling process will start automatically. It may take a few seconds to a minute.
- When it finishes, click Close. You may think that this is the last step; however, it isn’t. Read on to step 7.
- Open the Finder Window → go to Macintosh HD → Library → delete the Bitdefender folder.
- Now go to the Application Support folder and find the Antivirus for Mac subfolder, which keeps the program’s service files (logs, quarantines, settings). Remove it, too.
Quick way to uninstall Bitdefender completely
Well, the developer says, that after these 8 steps the antivirus software will be removed from your Mac completely. We decided to check it and used App Cleaner & Uninstaller to look out for Bitdefender leftovers. View the results on the screenshot below. As you see, there 1,47MB of useless files, that Bitdefender has left on your Mac. Fortunately, App Cleaner & Uninstaller finds them, so now you can get rid of them totally.
Once again, if Bitdefender cannot be successfully uninstalled, launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller → go to the Remains tab → select the antivirus’ files → click Remove.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a tool to uninstall applications on Mac completely, find remains and operate login items, launch programs and other system extensions. It allows you to find all system files that apps usually leave on your Mac when you remove them in the regular way. It is free to download from the Mac App Store. You can remove the service files of the programs absolutely free. To remove the executive item you will need the in-app Purchase version.