Avast is an antivirus application that protects computers, helps them stay safe from viruses and hackers, and secures user’s privacy. Besides Avast’s usefulness, you might need to uninstall the antivirus. In this article, we will explain how to safely and completely uninstall Avast from your Mac.
- How to uninstall Avast Security using its default uninstaller.
- How to quickly uninstall Avast from Mac.
How to uninstall Avast Security on Mac using its default uninstaller
The first and most important thing you should remember is never to remove antivirus programs just by dragging them into the Trash. This may cause problems when trying to completely uninstall antivirus from a Mac.
If you have already uninstalled Avast before using the official removal guide, we recommend that you check your Mac for Avast leftovers. Please, carefully follow our step-by-step guide to correctly and completely uninstall Avast from your Mac.
Steps to completely uninstall Avast Security on Mac
- Open Avast Security. For this click on the Avast icon in the toolbar and select Open Avast Security. Another method to open the Avast security window is to run the app from the Applications folder in Finder.
- Go to the menu bar → click on Avast Security → select Uninstall Avast Security.
- You will see the uninstaller window. Click on Continue. The uninstallation process will start and in a few seconds, you should see a message that Avast Security was successfully removed from your Mac.
- Find and remove leftover files of the antivirus. By default, applications store their support files in the system Library folder. Open Finder, press the Command+Shift+G key combination and in the search field type ~/Library. Hit Go.
Read the article “Three ways to get the Library folder.”
In the Library folder find and remove all files and folders associated with Avast Security. In our case, we found the following remaining files.
- ~/Library/Application Support/AvastHUB
- ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.avast.av.uninstaller.savedState
- ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.avast.Antivirus.SystemExtension
You might have more or fewer files depending on the period of time you used Avast on your Mac. Also note, some files might be spread out all over your system and it might be not so easy to find them. That’s why we recommend using a special uninstaller tool that automatically detects all support files of applications on a Mac. Below, you can learn more about App Cleaner & Uninstaller which helps to completely uninstall Avast Security on a Mac in just a few clicks.
How to quickly uninstall Avast from Mac
The easiest way to entirely and correctly uninstall Avast from Mac is to use App Cleaner & Uninstaller. It is a special utility that allows you to uninstall applications from Mac safely and in less than a minute.
Here are the steps on how to uninstall Avast Security using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Avast from the list of scanned apps.
- Click the Remove button and confirm the uninstallation.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller finds all the service files of applications, so after the removal, no leftovers will remain on your Mac. Even if you deleted apps in a regular way, you can find their leftovers in the Remaining Files section of the menu.
To sum up: what is the easiest way to remove Avast on a Mac?
From the mentioned methods, we recommend that our readers use App Cleaner & Uninstaller. It is the easiest way to entirely uninstall any application from Mac and you can be sure that no leftovers of deleted apps will remain on your disk. Also, App Cleaner & Uninstaller allows you to change login items, delete browser extensions, manage other Mac extensions, and change default applications.