Java is a plug-in that extends the functionality of web browsers. Java installation is quite simple. However, subsequent removal of Java without proper knowledge can cause problems. Today we will tell you about three methods on how to correctly and safely uninstall Java from Mac.
- How to manually uninstall Java from Mac.
- How to uninstall Java using the Terminal command line.
- The quickest way to uninstall Java from Mac.
Remove Java from Mac Manually
Java is not a standard application, so it does not appear either in the Launchpad or in the Applications folders. The only place where you can see it is System Preferences.
Now let’s see how to remove Java from your Mac, using its native installation file.
Steps on how to remove Java from Mac using its installation file:
- Run the Java installation file. By default, it should be located in the Downloads folder. If you can’t find the Java installation file on your Mac, you can download it from the official developer’s website.
- Click on the Java package file and enter your user password to continue.
- In the next window, click the Remove button. In a few seconds Java will be removed from your Mac. You will see a message about its successful removal.
If for any reason you can’t run the Java installation files or you face an issue when trying to remove Java from your Mac, using the mentioned above steps, don’t worry. You can remove Java right from the System Preferences.
Steps on how to remove Java from Mac using System Preferences:
- Open Mac System Preferences. You can find it in the Apple menu or in Launchpad.
- Here make a right click on the Java icon.
- Click on Remove “Java” Preference Pane.
- Go to the Applications folder and in the Finder’s search field type java and press Enter.
- Find the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin file and remove it into the Trash.
Now Java is completely removed from your Mac.
How to uninstall Java using the Terminal command line
Another way for Java removal is to use a special command in Terminal. Terminal is a default Mac application that you can find in the Launchpad or in the Applications folder.
- Launch the Terminal application.
- Enter the following command and press Enter:
sudo rm -fr /Library/Inte*rnet\ Plu*g-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
- Enter the password of your account (the account must have administrator privileges).
Java will be removed from your computer.
The quickest and easiest way to uninstall Java from Mac
Now we would like to share the quickest and safest way to uninstall applications and extensions on Mac. For this, you can use App Cleaner & Uninstaller from Nektony. App Cleaner & Uninstaller automatically finds applications and all their service files, as well as different types of extensions, such as plugins, preferences panes, web browser extensions and allows you to uninstall any of them with just a few clicks.
Steps on how to uninstall Java with App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Go to the Extensions tab → Preference Panes section.
- Select Java and click the Remove button.
- Confirm the action.
With App Cleaner & Uninstaller you can find all extensions installed on your Mac and easily remove unneeded ones.