This article explains how to completely remove the Wave browser on your Mac. Since many Mac users incorrectly think that dragging and dropping applications into the Trash is enough to fully uninstall them, we recommend reading this article to understand the additional steps you should take to get rid of the apps with all their support files. You can use this guide to uninstall any application from Mac.
The quickest way to uninstall the Wave browser on a Mac
App Cleaner & Uninstaller
Is Wave safe, and should I uninstall it from my Mac?
When it comes to deciding whether to keep Wave on your Mac, the first question users will ask is “Is it safe?” On the Internet, you can find many people who claim to have unexpectedly found the browser among their applications even though they never installed it.
The Wave browser is based on the open-source Chromium browser, which is also used for Google Chrome and the latest version of Microsoft Edge. On the one hand, it’s a simple browser, and many users find it fast and reliable. On the other hand, people claim that Wave can make some unauthorized changes to your computer, which means that hacking and virus attacks become easier when using this browser. Additionally, the Wave browser has a lot of ads, banners, and pop-ups that may contain suspicious links and redirect users to suspicious websites. Due to this, we recommend using more reliable web browsers like Safari or Google Chrome and uninstalling Wave from your Mac.
Important notes about uninstalling Wave from Mac
- Before uninstalling the Wave browser, you should save or export all your personal data, such as bookmarks and saved passwords.
- Dropping and dragging Wave to the Trash doesn’t uninstall the browser completely. Its support files will remain on your Mac.
- Since Nektony has specialized in Mac cleaning applications for many years, our team regularly checks which files Mac applications create and where they are stored.
- Based on our experience, we can say that manual removal might not be as effective as automatic. You might simply miss or not find some files. Moreover, the manual method will take you a fair amount of time.
- We recommend that you uninstall Wave with the help of App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This tool will quickly and safely find all Wave support files and allow you to get rid of them in just a few clicks. Download a free trial of App Cleaner & Uninstaller to easily remove Wave from your Mac.
How to manually uninstall Wave on a Mac
The manual method of uninstalling Wave requires understanding the macOS catalog system, which might take a lot of time. If you’re a new Mac user, we highly recommend that you first learn about the hidden Library folder from one of our previous articles. Also, you should be careful so as not to remove important files by accident, which might damage the operation of your macOS.
Steps to manually uninstall Wave:
- Quit the Wave browser.
- Ensure that no processes related to Wave are running in the background. For this, launch Activity Monitor and if you see any of Wave’s processes in the CPU tab. Select them and click the Х icon to close them.
- Open the Applications folder in Finder and remove the Wave browser from there.
- In Finder, press the Cmd+Shift+G shortcut.
- Copy and paste ~/Library into the search field and press Enter (Return).
Check the following folders for Wave’s support files and remove all items related to the browser.
- ~/Library/Application Support
- Once you do this, empty the Trash.
Please note that sometimes, applications may spread their support files to other hidden locations on your Mac. That’s why we recommend using App Cleaner & Uninstaller, which automatically finds all support files of apps and allows you to uninstall programs completely with just a few clicks.
How to remove Wave using an uninstaller
The fastest and most reliable way to completely uninstall Wave on a Mac is to use a specialized uninstaller tool. You can use App Cleaner & Uninstaller, which will automatically find all the support files of the Wave browser, such as caches, logs, cookies, and preferences.
Steps to uninstall Wave on Mac with App Cleaner & Uninstaller:
- Download and launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Wave in the list of applications.
- Click the Uninstall button and confirm the action.
That’s all. Quick and easy. By the way, if you enable Expert Mode in App Cleaner & Uninstaller, you can see the list of all support files for the applications on your Mac.
If you’ve already removed the Wave browser by dragging and dropping it into the Trash, you can use App Cleaner & Uninstaller to find its leftover files. For this, switch to the Remaining Files section on the sidebar, select the leftovers and click to remove them.
Now you know two ways to completely remove the Wave browser on your Mac. It’s up to you which method to use. However, note that using App Cleaner & Uninstaller guarantees that the app will be uninstalled completely without leaving a single support file behind. If you search for support files manually, you can’t be sure you’re removing all the leftover files.