Searching for duplicate files on a Mac is not quick and simple task. There are a variety of special apps to make finding duplicate files faster and easier. But, you can stumble upon a bunch of paid or free software, and as a result, get confused. Because of this, we have prepared a comparison chart of the most popular duplicate searching applications to help you make the right choice.
The Duplicate File Finders Сomparison Chart
Now, let’s have a look at these six duplicate finders in detail so that you can make your own decision about which one to use.
Duplicate File Finder
The Duplicate File Finder application was created by the Nektony company, which specializes in increasing Mac productivity. This application helps to remove duplicates in just a few minutes. Duplicate File Finder scans your Mac hard drive or external drives to find identical files and folders. It searches equal files by type, name, count, and size. You can separately view and delete duplicate photos, videos, music, documents, or all types of duplicates from your Mac. Duplicate File Finder also helps you to detect similar folders, which have both equal and unique files and merge them to free up storage space on your disk. Besides that, Duplicate File Finder detects similar photos in order to ease the selection of the favorite pictures you want to keep on your computer. This application is easy to use and it provides a “how to use” guide for new users.
To start using this duplicate finder on a Mac, download it from the App Store for free. Also, you can download the notarized be Apple version of Duplicate File Finder from the Nektony website. The free version allows you to search for duplicate files on a Mac and remove them. If you want to try the advanced features, like removing duplicates in bulk, comparing folders or merging folders, you can then upgrade the app to a Pro mode for $9.99. This duplicate file finder and remover is suitable for macOS 10.12 or later and takes up 31.3 MB. You can delete duplicate files using the Duplicate File Finder Mac app in a few simple steps:
- Launch the application and click on the button for a quick start. Or you can select particular folders you want to scan by using the button or dragging and dropping items to the app’s window. Then just click on .
- In less than a minute you will see the app’s main window, where the duplicates are shown by type in a pie chart or a bar chart. At the top bar of the main window, click on the Duplicate Files tab to review all the duplicate files. Else, you can click on the down-arrow to open the drop-down menu. In this menu, you can select a certain type of duplicates, like pictures, movies, music, documents, archives, and other files. Click on them to overview the items, arranged by size.
- Select an unneeded copy of a file and click on the button. Review the item you are going to delete and confirm the removal. By default, the file will be moved to Trash on your Mac, so you can restore it or delete completely.
- Use Cleanup Hints for a fast start.
- Use Duplicate Folders to remove one of the equal folders.
- Choose Similar Photos to simply get rid of unneeded pictures.
- Use Similar Folders view to compare folders.
- Select Duplicates in Folder for quick removal.
- Merge Folders to organize your Mac storage.
- Restore removed files.
If you wish to get rid of useless twin files to increase the storage space on your Mac hard drive quickly, you should try Cleanup Hints. This is a list of recommendations in the main app’s window, where you can see files recommended for removal and the size they occupy on your Mac. Click on one of the→ overview duplicate files → click on the button → overview the items you are going to delete → click on the button.
Using the Duplicate File Finder, you can find the duplicate folders, review their content and see their location on your disk or external drive. Then, you can decide which one to remove and which one to keep. In a free version of the app, you can review the duplicate folders, reveal them in Finder and manually remove items. In a Pro mode, this process is automatic.
Duplicate File Finder makes it easier to choose the right image among the number of alike photos. It finds similar images on your Mac, including Photos Library, and on external drives.
Duplicate File Finder finds the similar folders on your disk. These folders have both original files and duplicate files. You can delete duplicates in folders or merge folders to save unique files of both folders, and remove useless copies of files. The free version of the Duplicate File Finder will show you Similar Folders, but you will only be able to delete them in the Pro mode of the app.
If you overview the files in the All Duplicates list, you will notice that twin files appear in some folders more often than in others. For instance, Duplicate File Finder has found exact files in the Downloads folder on your Mac several times. You can remove items in each category of files from the Downloads folder step by step. However, the fastest way is to click on the Select Duplicates in Folder button and remove all useless duplicates in Downloads at once. You can overview the items in a free version, but to delete them use a Pro mode.
The Duplicate File Finder app helps you to organize your folders. Select
Duplicate File Finder provides the opportunity to view your removal history and restore deleted files. Go to Duplicate File Finder menu bar →→ → Overview the list of the removed items in the → Select files you want to recover → Click on the button.
In Preferences, you can configure additional settings to find, auto select, remove, and merge duplicates. For instance, you can determine which folders and files should be excluded from the list, set the priority folders for the Auto Select feature, or select the minimum file size for searching. This will help to speed up the process of removal of duplicates and increase the usability of the application.
You can use Duplicate File Finder to detect and remove duplicate files on macOS X for free in less than a minute. You can find a particular type of file, like duplicate photos on your Mac. If you want to compare similar photos and remove unneeded ones, it is also available in a free version.
The Duplicate File Finder Pro mode helps you to find duplicate and similar folders, to select identical files in a certain folder, to merge folders. You will pay only $ 9.99 once for these useful advanced features.
$4.99, free trial
OS X 10.7 or later
★★★★☆ / 4.00
The Duplicate Detective application is the product of the FIPLAB company. They create mobile and desktop apps, which help to organize your work on a Mac. Duplicate Detective scans items by type, name, count, and size to detect equal files and folders on your Mac.
You can download Duplicate Detective from the App Store for $4.99, or download a free trial from the FIPLAB website.
This duplicate finder has a simple interface and most users will easily get started with it. To start using Duplicate Detective, take the following steps:
- Just launch this software to delete duplicate files on a Mac. There is a icon on the start window. Use it to select the folders you want to scan and then click on the button.
- In the next moment, the app will display information about how many files were scanned, the number of duplicates it detected and the space duplicates take on your disk.
- Then, you can overview the list of twin files and remove them. Duplicate Detective displays copies of files by category, so that you can, for example, look through duplicate pictures or duplicate videos for your convenience.
- All you need to delete duplicates is to select them → click → overview the list of selected files and confirm the removal. The files will be moved to Trash.
Please note that the trial mode of the Duplicate Detective app does not allow you to remove items. It is possible in the paid version of the app only.
You can add items to the Ignored File Extensions and Ignored Folders lists before the scanning in Preferences.
You can use the Duplicate Detective free trial mode to find out how many and what type of equal files you have on your Mac in several seconds. To remove unwanted copies, you will need to buy an application for $4.99.
from $19.95, free trial
OS X 10.10 or later
★★★★☆ / 4.00
Gemini 2 is an application by the MacPaw company, which focuses on the products for Mac. This app scans files and folders on your disk and detects twin and similar files. Gemini 2 can search duplicates of files on your Mac, including the Photos Library and iTunes Media folders. It has a simple interface, which looks like the Apple’s Finder design. The app takes up 37.1 MB and suitable for OS X 10.10 or later.
The Gemini 2 app has a free trial, which available on the MacPaw website. The free trial of the app allows you to clean up 500 MB of duplicates only. The paid version can be downloaded from the App Store for $19.95 for a one-year subscription or for $44.95 once and for all.
When you launch this duplicate file cleaner, you will see a start window which asks to choose folders for scanning. You can drag and drop a folder to this window or click on thebutton to select folders from Finder. Then you just click on the button and in a few minutes, you will see the scan results with two options: Review Results and Smart Cleanup. Then, you can select one of the following steps:
- Click on if you wish to skim all equal and similar files, and then remove them. At the next moment, you will see the app’s main window with the categories of duplicate files and similar files. All twin files are selected automatically by location, date of last modification and size of the file. Click on to delete them. Or and manually choose the items you wish to delete and then click on the button. All deleted files will be moved to Trash.
- Click on the option for fast cleaning. This option is useful for users who want to get rid of duplicates quickly without reviewing them. However, you have an opportunity to review the deleted items and put them back. For this, click on the button → → .
- Similar Files.
Gemini 2 also finds Similar Files. This means that the app finds items with common parameters that slightly differ from each other. For instance, the images can be taken in the same location by one camera, with a difference of just 2 seconds. So, the app will allow you to look at these alike photos, in case you wish to remove one of them. However, in the case with screenshots, the app detects absolutely different files as similar.
You can set the scanning process in Preferences, depending on your needs. Click onto add files, folders, and files of particular extensions you want to skip during the scanning. You can also create a list of folders where Smart Cleanup has to remove duplicates, and a list of folders from which duplicates should never be selected.
You can use Gemini 2 for free in the case, you want to remove a small number of useless replicas of files from your Mac in less than a minute. If you want to regularly remove duplicates from your disk, you will have to subscribe for a 1-year plan for $19.95 or purchase a lifetime license for $44.95. But keep in mind, that Gemini 2 is not correctly detected similar files, so you can without looking remove important items. You should also be careful with the Smart Cleanup option.
Cisdem Duplicate Finder
from $9.99, free trial
OS X 10.10 or later
★★★★☆ / 4.5
The Cisdem company provides different applications for Mac users, including the Cisdem Duplicate Finder app. This app scans your Mac files and folders to find equal files and similar pictures. It also can find twin files in the Photos Library and iTunes Media folders on your Mac. The app has a simple interface, takes up 8.9 MB, and is suitable for OS X 10.10 or later.
You can download Cisdem Duplicate Finder from the App Store for $29.99 for lifetime use or for $9.99 for a one year use, or try its free trial, which is available at the Cisdem website. However, the free trial of the app does not allow you to delete duplicates. It is only possible in the paid version.
The process of finding duplicate files using the Cisdem Duplicate Finder app is almost the same as with previous ones. You just need to complete these steps:
- Drag and drop folders to the start window of the app or click the button.
- In several minutes, the app will show you the results: a number of scanned files, number of found duplicates, and the space they occupy on your Mac. Then you can overview all duplicates in details.
- There is a top bar on the main window, where all duplicates are divided by category. Click on the tab to see all on the duplicate files and similar photos, which app finds on your computer.
- The app selects duplicates automatically, so you can just click on the button to remove all detected twin and alike files. There is no “deselect all” button, so you have to overview all items carefully before removal. All files will be moved to Trash if you have selected this option in the app’s Preferences.
- Check Preferences before the scanning process.
- Similar Files.
The scanning process may take some time. It depends on the options you have chosen in the Preferences. You can scan by File Content or File Name and vary the size of scanning files. It also depends on how many folders you are going to scan. It is better to scan your Mac Home Folder or other data in batches. You can create an Ignore List of files, folders, and files of particular extensions before the scanning process.
The Images category in the Cisdem Duplicate Finder main window has two sections: Duplicate and Similar. By default, Image Similarity sets on 70% in the app’s Preferences. The closer you put the slider to zero, the more “similar” items you get. Unfortunately, the app detects very different files as similar, so be careful with this option. Within 90-100% it finds files that differ quite a bit.
You can use a free version of Cisdem Duplicate Finder to check to see for all the duplicates that you have on your disk. It will take several minutes. In the case, you want to get rid of unwanted replicas from your Mac, you will need to purchase a 1-year subscription for $9.99 or a lifetime license for $29.99. Besides that, the process of detecting similar pictures is unclear, inaccurate and slow.
Also, unlike other reviewed apps, Cisdem Duplicate Finder does not recognise the .HEIC photos extension. So if you transfer photos from your iPhone 7 or later model to your Mac, this app will not detect these new photos type as duplicates.
$4.99, free trial
OS X 10.8 or later
☆☆☆☆☆ / 0
The Duplicate Sweeper was created by the Wide Angle Software company. It specializes in applications for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. Duplicate Sweeper scans folders on your Mac and finds duplicates.
You can download Duplicate Sweeper from the App Store for $4.99 or download its free trial from the Wide Angle Software website. Note that the Duplicate Sweeper free trial does not allow you to delete duplicates. It is only possible in the paid version.
This duplicate file remover takes up 3.9 MB, is compatible with OS X 10.8 or later, and is simple to use.
To start using this program that deletes duplicate files on a Mac, take the following steps:
- Add folders you want to scan and click on the button.
- In the next moment, the application will find and show all duplicates categorized by file types.
- Select useless twin files and click on the to remove duplicates.
- Auto Select.
You will find this option at the top of the app’s main window. Click on the
Please note that Duplicate Sweeper can detect duplicates within applications. This means that if you accidentally delete some critical content of the application, it will not work correctly or will not work at all. To avoid this situation, we recommend that you carefully review all the items on the Other tab and deselect those items with which you are not familiar.
You can manage the size of files you want to check and exclude some file types from scanning in the app’s Preferences.
You can use the free Duplicate Sweeper mode to quickly find and review all the duplicates of files you have on your Mac. Moreover, Duplicate Sweeper shows you the twin files inside Applications, the deletion of which is critical for the programs on your Mac.
Also, you will need to pay $4.99 to enable the removal option.
OS X 10.10 or later
☆☆☆☆☆ / 0
The dupeGuru is a free duplicate file utility that was created by Hardcoded Software (rather, by one person). It is an app that works on iOS, Linux and Windows platforms. It scans your Mac folders and drives and finds duplicate files and folders.
The dupeGuru app has a simple interface, takes up 4.5 MB, and is suitable for OS X 10.10 or later. You can download it from the dupeGuru app’s website.
To use this free duplicate file finder on your Mac, take the following simple steps:
- Select the Application Mode (Standard, Music or Picture) and choose the Scan Type (Filename, Contents or Folders).
- In the next moment, the app shows a list of duplicates. There is no preview window, so it may be inconvenient to compare files. But you can click on the icon to open the item.
- To remove duplicates, you have to select them from the list step by step or click on in the menu bar and select to choose all duplicates. Then, click on the icon in the top left corner, select and click on the
Please note that dupeGuru can also detect duplicates within applications. In the case you accidentally delete some critical content of the application, it will not work correctly or will not work at all. So, carefully remove the items from your disk via this app.
- Application Mode.
The Standard mode is the fastest way to find duplicates if you select Contents scan type. If you choose the Standard mode with the Filename scan type, there may be some confusion about filenames with numbers. Music and Picture application modes may take more time than the Standard mode.
You can find and delete duplicates using the free dupeGuru application on your Mac in less than a minute. It has a simple interface and it is probably inconvenient to select which one of several duplicates to delete. Besides that, it also shows you the items inside the applications as duplicates. It does not find similar files and does not have extra features, but it is free. However, you can use a website version of the app only, which was not notarized by Apple and means that the app was not checked for malware.
Often, we have no idea how many duplicates are on our computers, and they may take a great deal of disk space. Your Mac will run more slowly until you get rid of the duplicate junk. It is really hard to detect duplicates on your own, so the duplicate searching applications help in this situation a lot.
We recommend Duplicate File Finder for this purpose, as it is the most powerful app with unique features and a comparably low price. You can download it for free from the App Store or the notarized version from the Nektony website. It has a user-friendly interface and removes duplicate files and similar photos in a free mode. Duplicate File Finder finds replicas files and folders on your Mac and external storages. It also shows similar folders and allows you to merge them. You can merge unique folders as well. This application is a great duplicate photo finder, as it correctly detects duplicates and also finds similar photos. One more feature that other apps don’t have is the Select Duplicates in Folder option, which allows you to remove duplicates in bulk and save your time. Finally, it has scored the most points in our comparison chart, so Duplicate File Finder is the best file finder for a Mac.
Anyway, have a look once more at the comparison chart at the top of this post and review the six most popular duplicate finders to make your own decision. In case you find a duplicate removal app with another features that suits you best, please contact the Nektony team via email to share your experience.