In this article, we will share a list of popular duplicate photo cleaners for your Mac and provide a comparison table to help you choose the best app to delete duplicate photos.
Best duplicate photo finders for Mac in 2022
|Scanning speed (100 GB)||4 sec||20 sec||40 sec||35 sec||30 sec|
|Finding duplicate photos|
|Finding similar looking photos|
|Matching level for similar images|
|Additional features||Finding similar music, Auto Select, Merging folders, Selecting duplicates in a particular folder||Finding screenshots, choosing the matching level for similar photos||Customizing rules for duplicates selection, deleting duplicates permanently, moving to trash, or moving to a specific folder.||Finding duplicate pictures in Lightroom, Capture One, and Aperture libraries||Choosing the matching level for scanned photos|
Duplicate photo finders review criteria
- In this review, we tested each of these duplicate image finders and analyzed the interface, scanning speed, ease of use, price, and features.
- We’ve created a comparison table of duplicate photo finders which will help you to easily compare the apps and make the best choice depending on your preferences.
- We paid special attention to the safety and history of updates of the applications. We also checked how well the finders of the duplicate pictures could cope with a large set of photos weighing several gigabytes.
Duplicate File Finder
Price: Free for finding duplicate photos, $14.95 – the Pro mode with additional features
Operating system: macOS 10.12 or later
- ✓ User-friendly interface
- ✓ Fast scanning speed
- ✓ Free for finding duplicate photos
- ✓ Finds all types of duplicate files (videos, music, documents, etc.)
- ✓ Allows you to merge folders and organize your photos
- ✓ Support of any external drive
- 𐄂 Doesn’t have an option to choose the matching level for similar photos
- 𐄂 You may need to learn tutorials for the Pro options.
Duplicate File Finder is software developed by a trusted company Nektony. It is notarized by Apple and has the highest rating in the table compared to other duplicate picture finders.
The application finds any type of duplicate file and is excellent for cleaning up similar and duplicate pictures.
This duplicate image finder supports any type of drive, so you can find and remove duplicate photos from your Mac, any cloud storage, USB drive, flash drive, and from other kinds of external disks.
The free version of Duplicate File Finder finds and removes similar and duplicate images and removes duplicates of any other type of file. The application has a Pro mode which costs $14.95 per year. The Pro mode provides many additional features for those users who have tons of duplicate files and who want to make the cleaning process as quick as possible. With the Pro version, you can merge similar folders, automatically select duplicates in particular folders, clean up similar folders, restore files accidentally removed into the Trash, and more.
Duplicate File Finder is being updated pretty frequently. If you check the updates history in the App Store or right on the developer’s page, you will see that updates come not just with optimizations but also new exciting features.
Price: $10.35 per month
Operating system: macOS 10.11 or later
- ✓ It is not just a duplicate photo finder but a complete cleaning software for Mac
- ✓ Intuitive interface
- ✓ Live-chat support right in the application
- ✓ In addition to duplicate and similar images, it also finds screenshots
- 𐄂 Subscription policy for distribution.
- 𐄂 A bad reputation in the past due to aggressive marketing policy.
- 𐄂 It doesn’t support external drives.
MacKeeper is a Mac cleaning software from Clario Tech DMCC that can find and remove duplicate photos from your Mac. Generally, MacKeeper’s users choose this application due to its comprehensive set of options to optimize and secure a Mac computer. Its duplicate finder option can be helpful for those who have many duplicate pictures on a Mac and want to remove them.
You can use MacKeeper to rid your Mac of duplicate photos, similar photos, and screenshots. All you need to do is add folders you want to check for duplicates and click the Scan button, and you will see the results shortly. Then you can use the Auto-selection or manually select unneeded duplicate photos.
You can adjust the match level for similar photos from Low to High in the application preferences.
MacKeeper has a subscription policy for distribution. The prices start at $10.95 per month. The company offers a discount if you pay for a 12-month plan upfront and a family package of 3 Mac licenses.
MacKeeper provides a free trial, so you can check your Mac for duplicates and remove them with the app and decide whether you like it before purchasing.
MacKeeper is being regularly updated. The new versions come with bug fixes, functionality improvements, and optimizations for the latest macOS systems. You can check the release history on the developers’ website. Note that old versions of the application cannot be updated. However, the company offers a 50% discount on upgrading.
Cisdem Duplicate Finder
Price: $19.99 per year
Operating system: macOS 10.11 or later
- ✓ Supports scanning multiple file types, including photos, music, videos, documents, archives, etc.
- ✓ Fully support Apple Photos
- ✓ Supports Finding similar photos
- ✓ Scan Mac and external storage devices
- ✓ Automatically select duplicates and supports mass delete with a click
- 𐄂 Requires payment to use the full version
Cisdem Duplicate Photo Finder is a duplicate cleaner that can find and remove duplicate files on Mac and Windows. We selected this software primarily because of its exceptional support for Apple Photos. It supports scanning multiple Photos library at the same time and it will not break the integrity of Photos structure. You can use Cisdem Duplicate Finder to scan your computer and external devices for duplicate photos, music, videos, documents, and archives. After finish scanning, the software offers several options for dealing with them. You can easily preview duplicate files, choose to delete the duplicates permanently, move them to the trash, or move them to a specific folder.
Mac users can download Cisdem Duplicate Finder at the official website. With the trial version, user can scan and preview all founded duplicate files, but not remove them.
The application is being updated a couple of times per year. One can easily find the update history at the product page. Cisdem Duplicate Finder supports M1-Macs and is optimized for macOS Ventura.
Price: $4.99 one-time purchase
Operating system: macOS 10.12 or later
- ✓ Shows histogram and metadata for photos
- ✓ Supports Lightroom, Aperture, and Apple Photos libraries
- ✓ Allows you to compare images of different extensions
- 𐄂 The trial allows you to remove 10 photos only
- 𐄂 Dark mode only
PhotoSweeper X is a duplicate image finder from the Overmacs team. The application allows you to delete duplicate photos from the Photos Library, Lightroom, Capture One, and Aperture libraries. That’s why many photographers choose the Photo Sweeper X application to clean up a series of photos.
PhotoSweeper X also finds duplicate movies, and it supports different video formats, including those that Mac doesn’t natively support.
The app provides a great option to lock files and protect them from being removed. You can continue comparing them with other duplicate pictures, but the app will not allow you to remove the locked pictures.
PhotoSweeper X is available only in the App Store. It is a one-time purchase and costs $9.99. While you can download a trial from the developer’s website. It only allows you to remove up to 10 duplicate photos.
The application is being updated every couple of months. Most updates came with optimizations for macOS versions. PhotoSweeper X supports M1-Macs and now it is optimized for Monterey.
Duplicate Photo Cleaner
Price: $39.95 per year
Operating system: macOS, Windows
- ✓ Available for both macOS and Windows
- ✓ Allows you to export the list of duplicates in TXT, XLS, and other formats
- ✓ Allows you to select low-resolution similar images automatically
- ✓ Displays the level of similarity
- 𐄂 An outdated design
- 𐄂 Slow scanning speed
- 𐄂 Only a yearly subscription is available
- 𐄂 Finds duplicate and similar pictures only; doesn’t support other types of files
Duplicate Photo Cleaner is yet another software for finding duplicate images on your computer. The application was developed by WebMinds company. Duplicate Photo Cleaner is focused specifically on duplicate photos – not on duplicate files in general. It supports both Mac and Windows platforms.
The application provides a great Mobile SmartScan mode which allows you to manage your photos on your smartphone and removes similar shots from your photo gallery.
Duplicate Photo Cleaner costs $39.95 per year. It is the price for one license available to use on one computer. The developers provide discounts if you buy two or more licenses. The great thing is that you can try the application before buying. The trial allows you to manage up to 10 duplicate images.
Updatesupdates history on the developers’ website. The updates mainly consist of new language translations and some changes in design.
Duplicate Photo Fixer Pro
Price: $46.99 one-time purchase
Operating system: macOS, Windows, iOS, Android
- ✓ Finds both duplicate and similar images
- ✓ Intuitive interface
- ✓ Supports external drives
- ✓ High-star rating
- ✓ Allows you to customize matching level for scanned photos
- 𐄂 Expensive
- 𐄂 No trial available
- 𐄂 Supports finding duplicate pictures only
Duplicate Photos Fixer Pro allows you to detect duplicate images on your Mac. Before starting the scan, you can select the Exact Match and Similar Mathes for your pictures. Also, you can choose the time intervals for a series of photos. The application focuses more on finding and removing similar images than duplicates. To see exact duplicate photos, select the Exact Match option.
With Duplicate Photo Fixer Pro, you can scan your Photo library and external drives. It has an Auto Mark option that allows you to automatically select duplicate images according to your setting in its Preferences.
Mac users can download Duplicate Photo Fixer Pro from the App Store for $46.99. It is a one-time purchase. The developers don’t provide any trial period, making the application less attractive among other duplicate picture finders.
The application is being updated a couple of times per year. Most updates bring bug fixes and some feature improvements. You can see its update history in the App Store.
If you need to find duplicate photos and duplicates of any other type of file, we recommend Duplicate File Finder from Nektony. It has the highest scanning speed and provides a comprehensive set of additional useful features. And, best of all, it’s free!