The Firefox browser, like any other web browser, saves HTML and media files to its caches. In most cases, cache helps to speed up the page loading time. Nevertheless, a large number of cache files tend to slow down the browser or to display some pages incorrectly if the information on the site has been changed.
Thus, you may need to clear cache in Firefox for different reasons, for example, to solve certain browser issues or to free up memory on your hard disk. In this article, we will share on how to clear the cache in Firefox.
1. Why should you clear cache in Firefox
2. The standard way of clearing Firefox cache
3. What is the “Clear Cache” shortcut for Firefox
4. How to clear Firefox cache on Mac manually
5. How to refresh Firefox with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
Why should you clear cache in Firefox
“Cache” refers to all the data on web pages viewed through a browser. The cache stores information about images, videos and other website content. It helps to make your browser run faster. If the page you want to view is already in the cache, the browser instantly downloads it from your hard drive. At the same time, over a period, cache files take up significant disk space and, as a result, slow down the Mac’s and browser’s performance. Use one of the options below to clear browser cache in Firefox.
The standard way of clearing cache in Firefox
Here is how to clear the cache in Firefox using the built-in option in the browser:
- Open the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- Go to History in the Menu Bar → select Clear Recent History.
- In the Time range to clear select Everything
- In the History section, check Cache.
- Click the Clear Now button.
- Then restart the Firefox browser.
What is the “Clear Cache” shortcut for Firefox
Another way to call the History window of Firefox and to clear cache is to use a special key shortcut:
- Press Shift+Command+Del. This will open the Clear Recent History… window.
- Select Cache and the time range for it.
- Click Clear Now.
How to clear Firefox cache on Mac manually
If for some reason, you can’t clear Firefox cache using the above option, you can do it manually. Follow these steps to manually delete cache files of Firefox:
- Open Finder.
- Press Shift+Command+G.
- In the search field enter ~/Library and click Go.
- Go to the Caches folder → Mozilla and remove the files inside this subfolder.
- Empty the Trash and restart Firefox.
Refresh Firefox with App Cleaner & Uninstaller
You can also use free software App Cleaner & Uninstaller for clearing cache in Firefox. The app allows you to reset Firefox to default settings.
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Find Firefox from the scanned apps and select its Cache files.
- Click Remove Service Files.
- Click the Reset Cache and click OK.
Use App Cleaner & Uninstaller to easily clear cache, cookies, logs, preferences, and other support files. The application also allows you to completely uninstall apps, remove their leftovers, change startup programs and default apps.