We all know the passion Steve Jobs had for fonts and typefaces.
” …Ten years later, when we were designing the first Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography. If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts.”
Maybe that’s the reason we have so many different fonts on Mac. However, there are tons of fonts we don’t use: Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, Indian, Sri Lankan and so on. All of them take up around 900 Mb of your hard drive space. In this article, we will explore the Mac fonts location and explain how to remove fonts on Mac.
Where are fonts stored on Mac
All fonts installed on your Mac are stored in the following system folder:
To get to this folder, follow these steps:
- Open Finder.
- Press Command+Shift+G key combination.
- Type ~/Library/Fonts in the search field and click Go.
Another easy way to find all fonts on your Mac is to use a free application Funter. Funter allows you to show and find hidden files on Mac.
- Launch Funter.
- Type Fonts in the search field and click Enter.
- The application will display all font files on your Mac. Click the Magnifier icon to open these files in Finder.
Where to download fonts on Mac
Here is a list of some websites where you can download fonts for Mac:
How to install fonts on Mac
Follow these steps to install new fonts on Mac:
- Download the fonts you want to install.
- Launch the default application Font Book from Launchpad.
- Click the “+” icon.
- Select the font file and click Open.
Another way to install fonts on Mac:
- Download the font file.
- Double-click on the font.ttf file.
- Click Install Font.
How to uninstall fonts on Mac
If you want to uninstall unused fonts on Mac, follow these steps:
- Launch the Font Book app.
- Select the fonts you don’t need.
- In the Menu Bar click File → select Remove.
- The files will be moved to the Trash. So then you will need to empty Trash.
Here is a list of Mac fonts we recommend deleting to recover disk space:
- Arial Unicode.ttf
- 儷宋 Pro.ttf
- 87.2 Mb
- 71.9 Mb
- 70.7 Mb
- 68.9 Mb
- 67.1 Mb
- 43.2 Mb
- 24.1 Mb
- 23.3 Mb
- 18.8 Mb
- 18 Mb
- 17.5& Mb