Chrome is one of the most popular browsers. However, for some reason, you may need to uninstall Chrome, for example, to solve a browser issue or you switched to the Safari browser. In this article, we explain how to uninstall Google Chrome on Mac safely and completely.
If you delete the Chrome browser in a usual way by just dragging and dropping it to the Trash, such specific service files as caches and logs will remain on your hard drive. If you want to uninstall the Chrome app completely, you need to remove its service files as well. We will share two methods on how to remove Chrome and all its service files.
How to manually uninstall Google Chrome
Before you remove Google Chrome to Trash, you need to delete its cache files.
Steps to remove the Chrome browser on Mac:
- Launch Google Chrome.
- Go to the Control panel by clicking the “three dots” icon in the top right corner.
- Select History from the drop-down menu. The alternative method is to press the Command+Y key shortcut.
- Click Clear browsing data in the appeared window.
- Choose the time range “All time” and mark all checkboxes in the Clear browsing data section. Click the Clear data button.
- Go to the Applications folder and remove Chrome to Trash Bin.
- Now you need to remove other service files of Chrome. Just note, that even though you do everything highlighted above, not all files related to Chrome may be deleted. That’s why we recommend you to check the system Library folder for support files of Google Chrome.
- Open the Library folder from Finder. For this, press Command+Shift+G and type ~/Library. Click Go.
- Go to the Application Support folder → Google and remove the Chrome subfolder.
~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome. In our case, service files of the Chrome browser took up more than 1 Gb. Huge!
- And finally, don’t forget to empty Trash.
This option to uninstall an application is more or less suitable for the Chrome browser. Some other apps may contain data not only in the Library folder but spread out them over different system folders on Mac That’s why we recommend using a more reliable and quick way to uninstall apps on a Mac – App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
How to uninstall Chrome using App Cleaner & Uninstaller
App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a special utility that allows you to completely delete application with several clicks. The utility automatically finds all the service files of each program so that you don’t have to search for them manually. Follow the link to learn more about the App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
Steps to completely uninstall Chrome on Mac:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Find and select the Google Chrome browser.
- Click the Remove button to uninstall Chrome
- Confirm the deletion.
Video Guide: How to uninstall Google Chrome