Are you looking for a comprehensive guide on how to delete Opera from your Mac? You are on the right page. From this article, you will learn how to uninstall Opera on Mac completely with its support files. We will demonstrate two step-by-step guides of the Opera removal.
What is Opera, and why uninstall Opera from Mac?
Opera is a popular multiplatform web browser developed by the Opera Software Norwegian company. Opera is a safe browser that regularly improves its security. However, many users complain that Opera has poor performance compared to some other popular browsers. Due to this, you might want to switch to another web browser and remove Opera from your Mac.
Also, every application on Mac creates cache files that take up space on your hard drive. If you have installed Opera on your Mac, but you usually use another browser, we recommend uninstalling Opera. This will clean up your Mac from unneeded junk files and create some more free space.
From the guides below you can learn how to uninstall Opera from Mac entirely without leaving any remaining files behind.
Important notes about uninstalling Opera from Mac
- Please note, before removing the Opera browser, you should save or export all your personal data, such as bookmarks and saved passwords.
- Dropping and dragging Opera into the Trash bin doesn’t uninstall the browser completely. Its support files will leave on your Mac.
- Since Nektony has specialized in Mac cleaning applications for many years, our team regularly checks which files Mac applications create and where they are stored.
- Based on our experience, we can say that manual removal might not be as effective as automatic. You might simply miss or not find some files. Moreover, the manual method will take you a fair amount of time.
- We recommend that you uninstall Opera with the help of App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This tool will quickly and safely find all Opera service files and allow you to get rid of them in just a few clicks. Download a free trial of App Cleaner & Uninstaller and easily remove Opera from your Mac.
How to delete Opera from Mac using the uninstaller
The fastest way to remove Opera or any application from Mac is to use a specialized uninstaller tool.
We will use the App Cleaner & Uninstaller application. This is a tool to completely uninstall Opera or any programs from Mac with just a few clicks.
App Cleaner & Uninstaller will automatically find all the support files of Opera, such as cache files, logs, cookies, temporary files, will list all of them, and allow you to uninstall the browser completely.
Steps to uninstall Opera on Mac:
- Download and launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select Opera in the list of applications.
- Click on Uninstall.
- Confirm the removal of Opera from your Mac.
Please note, that even if you have already moved Opera into the Trash from the simple guide, App Cleaner & Uninstaller will find all the leftovers of the browser. Just switch to the Remaining Files. Here you can find and remove all leftovers and broken service files of removed apps.
Watch the video to see how easy it is to uninstall Opera with App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
How to remove Opera from Mac: Video Guide
How to uninstall Opera from Mac manually
Deleting the Opera browser on Mac by just a simple drag-and-drop into the Trash is not enough. In this case, all Opera’s service files remain on your Mac and take up disk space. To completely remove Opera, you also have to find and remove its support files.
The manual method of uninstalling Opera requires understanding the macOS catalog system which might take much time. If you are a new Mac user, we highly recommend that you first learn about the hidden Library folder from one of our previous articles. Also, you should be careful, so you don’t remove important files by accident, which might damage the macOS system’s work.
Steps to delete Opera from Mac completely:
- Quit Opera from the Dock menu.
- Make sure there are no background running processes related to Opera. For this, open the Activity Monitor utility → in the CPU tab, select the processes associated with Opera → click the Х icon in the left corner of the window to close them.
- Confirm the action by clicking the Quit or Force Quit button.
- Go to Finder → Applications and remove by moving Opera into the Trash.
- Now, you need to find and delete all the cache files of the Opera browser. They are located in the Library folder. Open Finder → press Command+Shift+G on your keyboard.
- Type ~/Library in the search field and press Return.
- Find the Caches folder → com.operasoftware.Opera and remove this subfolder.
Please note that in some cases, the Opera browser may have other service files on your Mac that are spread out in other subfolders, such as:
- ~/Library/Application Support
- Once you remove all Opera service files, empty the Trash to uninstall Opera on macOS entirely.
If you do not want to waste your time but want to make the process of finding Opera’s hidden leftover files easier, you might want to use a free tool from Nektony called Funter.
Here is how to find Opera’s support files with Funter:
- Launch Funter.
- Click on Funter’s icon in the toolbar.
- Enter the word Opera into the search line and press Return. You will see the list of all files related to Opera.
- Check the results and remove all hidden files associated with the Opera application.
- After that, just empty your Trash.
Suppose you find the manual method of uninstalling Opera complicated. In that case, we recommend deleting Opera with App Cleaner & Uninstaller, which will automatically find all Opera’s support files and remove the browser from your Mac entirely.
Is Opera browser safe?
All of the top browsers for Mac (Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera) are reasonably safe. Opera is regularly updated, the developers are working on improving Opera’s security and safety. However, you should always be careful when visiting fishy websites and clicking suspicious links.
Does Opera work stable on Mac?
The Opera browser supports Macs with both Apple M1 processors and Intel-based chips. If you regularly update Opera on your Mac, it will provide a stable and smooth performance.
Cannot uninstall Opera. What to do?
Before uninstalling Opera, you should quit the browser and ensure you don’t have its running processes working in the background. This will help to prevent issues when removing Opera. Use App Cleaner & Uninstaller to uninstall Opera from your Mac. This tool will completely remove the browser with all of its service files. Thus you will not get any more pop-ups and notifications from Opera on your Mac.
What is Opera Stable?
Opera Stable is the latest stable release of the Opera browser developed by a company named OperaSoftware ASA.