VMware Fusion for Mac is a software tool that allows you to run Windows, Linux and other operating systems on macOS. Currently, VMware Fusion 11 is the newest version and is available for Mac OS X 10.12 and later. If for any reason you want to uninstall VMware Fusion on your Mac and you have version 3.0 or earlier, you can use its native uninstaller. If you cannot find or run the Uninstall VMware Fusion file on your Mac or you have the VMware Fusion 4.0 version and later, we are happy to share with you two ways to properly delete VMware Fusion. So, read on to learn how to uninstall VMware Fusion on a Mac completely.
Remove VMware Fusion Manually
First, we want to remind you that an application is a complex product. Besides the executable item, it contains many other components to provide its best performance. For the average Mac user, the most common way to delete an app is to just to drag and drop an icon to the Trash. Unfortunately, the executable file (.app) is only one of many file types related to the single application stored on your Mac. Therefore, we will guide you through all of the steps required to uninstall VMware on your Mac. To get started, complete the following steps:
- Quit VMware Fusion.
- Open the Applications folder → select VMware Fusion.app → right click and select Move to Trash to get rid of the application’s executable file.
- The rest of the items to remove are the VMware Fusion app’s service files. Usually, they are stored in the main Library folder and the user’s Library folder. To get access to the main Library folder, open Finder → Macintosh HD → Library. In this folder you should find and remove all useless service files and folders related to VMware Fusion in the following subfolders:
- Library/Application Support
The user’s Library folder is hidden by default because critical system files are stored there. However, the service files of the VMware Fusion app are worthless now, so you can freely delete them. To get access to the user’s Library, open Finder → in the menu bar click Go → Go to Folder → in the window that appears, type ~/Library and click Go. Find and remove all service files and folders that contain VMware Fusion’s name in their titles. Check the following directories:
- ~/Library/Application Support
- ~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion
- ~/Library/Saved Application State
4. Empty the Trash bin to completely get rid of the VMware Fusion application.
Uninstall VMware Fusion Automatically
The second way is much easier, thanks to a special program for Mac users – App Cleaner & Uninstaller. It allows you to remove more than 1,000 applications and their remaining files in just a few clicks.
Complete the following steps to delete VMware Fusion on your Mac using App Cleaner & Uninstaller completely:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select VMware Fusion in the list of the items in the Applications tab. All of its service files will be marked automatically. Click to Uninstall.
- Overview the files you want to delete and click Remove.
- Complete the VMware Fusion for Mac uninstallation by emptying the Trash bin.
Depending on the diversity of applications and their versions, there could be more types of service files, which may be hard to find manually. Therefore, we recommend using App Cleaner & Uninstaller to completely delete applications from your Mac. You can download the App Cleaner & Uninstaller free trial and start using it today.