Microsoft Office 365 is a subscription-based service that provides a well-known suite of programs for managing data on your devices. If for any reason you want to remove Office 365 from your Mac, read our post. Today, we will share two methods of uninstalling the Mac version of Office 365.
Important notes and the methodology used in this article
- For removing Microsoft Office from Mac completely, you need to find and remove all of Office applications support files.
- By default, applications store their service file in the Library folder. However, some applications might spread their service files all over your disk.
- We will explain how to manually find Microsoft Office junk files and how to do this with a Microsoft Office removal tool.
- You should be careful when manually removing MS Office support files from Library. Deleting important macOS service files may damage your system.
- No matter which way you use to uninstall Mac apps, you can check your disk for their remaining files with App Cleaner & Uninstaller from Nektony.
The easiest way to uninstall Office 365 on Mac
All programs differ from one another in the way that associated files are created and stored on the computer. The differences are due to the user’s experience, the macOS version, the particular app version, and so on. Because of this, it is really hard to say exactly which files exist on a certain user’s Mac.
That is why we advise using third-party uninstallers, which automatically remove programs and their related files from your computer.
One of the trusted uninstallers is App Cleaner & Uninstaller. This software tool helps to correctly, quickly, and completely remove Office from your Mac. For this, download App Cleaner & Uninstaller and then follow the next steps:
- Launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller.
- Select the Microsoft Office folder.
Note, in the Applications tab, you can see a list of all your apps. All related programs and associated files of the Microsoft Office 365 suite are gathered in one folder.
- Click on the button.
- Review the items you want to delete, and confirm the deletion.
- Empty the Trash bin to completely remove Office from your Mac.
Remove Microsoft Office from Mac manually
The Office 365 Mac version includes the Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook programs. Each of these programs consists of different components. Generally, any application is divided into an executable file (.app) and various related files.
You can find the executable file of a certain program in the Applications folder. However, the associated files are usually stored in hidden folders on your disk. Therefore, if you want to completely uninstall Office 365 from your computer, you need to carefully remove all its components as well. For this, take the following steps:
- Quit all programs related to the Mac Microsoft Office and make sure none of them is running in the background.
- Open the
folder. Step-by-step, select the , , , and programs and drag and drop them to the bin.
- Then remove all unneeded Microsoft Office associated files, which are mainly stored in the hidden ~/Library in the window that appears → press Enter.
folder. To open the folder, click on in the Finder’s menu bar → select → type
Within the Library folder, you need to find and remove all files and folders related to Microsoft Office apps. Depending on your experience in using these apps, you may have not all of the items listed below. So, step by step select and delete useless service files in the following directories:
- Then, empty the bin to completely remove Office 365 from your Mac.
So how to quickly and completely uninstall Microsoft Office on Mac?
Now you know two methods of completely uninstalling Office 365 from your Mac. The manual uninstallation method requires time and careful removal of the service files.
On the other hand, the automatic uninstallation method helps to easily, quickly, and correctly remove apps from a Mac. Therefore, we recommend using App Cleaner & Uninstaller, which perfectly removes more than 1,000 apps from a Mac. You can use the trial of App Cleaner & Uninstaller free for two days, or purchase the program right now.
What happens if I uninstall Office 365 from my Mac?
Uninstalling Office 365 from your Mac does not delete your files or account. It only removes the applications and their settings from your device. You can still access your files; however, you cannot edit or create new files offline using the Office apps.
How do I reinstall Office 365 on a Mac after uninstalling it?
If you have already bought a license, do the following to reinstall Office 365 on your Mac:
- Go to the Microsoft Office website and sign in with your account.
- Once you sign in, follow the instruction for your type of account and download Microsoft Office to your Mac.
- Double-click the downloaded .pkg file, and on the installation window, click Continue.
- Follow the onscreen instruction to complete the MS Office installation on your Mac.
How long does it take to Uninstall Office 365 from Mac?
The time to uninstall Office 365 from your Mac depends on the method you use. If you use App Cleaner & Uninstaller from Nektony, it will take less than a minute.
If you use the manual method of deleting the Microsoft apps from your Mac, you need to find all associated files manually, which can take up to 20 minutes or more, depending on how many files you must delete. Therefore, using App Cleaner & Uninstaller is a faster and easier way to uninstall Office 365 from Mac.