MacCleaner PRO is an all-in-one software solution to free up space on your Mac and make it always run like a new computer. The program provides a clean and simple user interface. Also, the program comes with additional Pro tools for a deep Mac cleanup.
Disk Usage section
Once you launched MacCleaner Pro, you will see a bar showing your disk space usage. Here you can find out what is on your hard drive, including the files in the “Other” category.
There are three main sections for quick cleaning and optimizing your Mac’s performance:
- Performance – click on it to speed up your Mac.
- Junk files – click on it to clean up your Mac from unneeded files.
- User files – click on it to see what is on your disk and manage storage space.
Depending on the issue you face on your Mac, for example, a slow Mac or a lack of free storage space, click the appropriate button in the Disk Usage window or choose the appropriate option from the sidebar.
Speed up Mac section
Here you can manage login items, web browser extensions, clear inactive RAM and operate other items that have an influence on your Mac’s speed:
- Free up RAM
- Disable startup programs
- Reindex Spotlight
- Reindex Mail
To see more options for making your Mac even faster, switch to the Expert mode.
- Remove Internet plugins
- Disable browser extensions
- Quit heavy consumers
Clean up Mac section
Switch to this section to view all junk files on your Mac which you can safely remove:
- Installation packages
- Language files
In the Expert mode you can view and select more items for removal:
- Mail attachments
- Screenshot files
Manage Disk Space section
In this section, you can browse your disk usage in more detail and find out the list of the biggest files, folders, apps and other items on your hard drive:
- System files
- Duplicate files
Pro Tools and Helpers
In the sidebar menu, you can also find Pro tools and helpers for deep cleaning of your Mac hard drive and fixing the problem of a slow Mac.
- Find duplicate files – from here you can launch a special software program Duplicate File FInder to find, remove, and organize duplicate files and folders on your Mac.
- Uninstall applications – from here you can launch App Cleaner & Uninstaller to completely delete applications, their remaining files, and extensions.
- Analyze disk space usage – from here you can launch a special hard drive analyzer that scans any drive and provides a convenient diagram of disk usage helping to find the bulkiest content.
- Funter – launch this application to easily show, hide, and search for hidden files on your Mac.
- Memory Cleaner – launch this application to monitor the memory usage by apps and regularly free up inactive RAM memory to speed up your Mac.
Speed up Mac
If you face the problem of a slow Mac, follow these steps to speed up your system with MacCleaner Pro:
- Switch to the Speed up Mac section from the sidebar.
- Take a look at the provided options. All of these operations can be safely run by the app for a fast speed up:
- Free up RAM – clear inactive RAM memory
- Disable startup programs – stop automatically running apps at Mac login.
- Reindex Spotlight – reset the Spotlight index to fix the search issues.
- Reindex Mail – when Mail fails to launch or some messages are missing, update the list of emails and fix all issues with your Mailbox.
- Switch to the Expert mode to take a look at other options for Mac speedup:
- Disable internet plugins – special program components that add specific features for Internet browsing and may make your Mac run slowly.
- Disable browser extensions – small software programs that add additional functionality to a web browser but affect its performance speed.
- Quit heavy consumers – close the apps that require high memory usage and often freeze.
- Once all the operations are selected, click the Speed Up button and confirm performing selected tasks.
After this, you will notice that your Mac has started to work faster.
Clean up Mac
If you face a lack of free space on your Mac hard drive, your Startup disk is full and you just need more free storage space, you can clean up your Mac with MacCleaner Pro.
Follow these steps to clean up your Mac:
- Switch to the Clean up Mac section from the sidebar.
- Take a look at the list of selected junk files that can be safely removed:
- Caches – temporary files created when you use applications on your computer. Over time, the volume of cache files significantly grows, which slows down your Mac.
- Installation files – files that are used to set up programs. Once you’ve installed a program, you don’t need these files anymore.
- Language files – files for software localization. Most likely you don’t need all language resources and can remove unneeded ones.
- Downloads – you may download tons of files from the Internet each day and forget to remove unneeded files. The overall size of these files may take up significant space, so select and remove these “space eaters”.
- In the Expert mode you will find more items that you most likely don’t need and can also select for removal.
- Mail attachments – these files are automatically saved on your Mac and eventually take up serious amounts of storage space. Find and remove old unneeded email downloads.
- Screenshot files – for different reasons, you regularly take pictures from your desktop. These pictures occupy significant storage space and it’s likely that most of them are unnecessary. So, we would advise you to take a look at them and remove unneeded screenshots.
- Files in the Trash bin – files in the Trash take 100% of their previous sizes. It’s a little reminder to empty Trash on your Mac.
- Once you select all unneeded files, click the Remove button and confirm the deletion.
Please note that if you deselect, for example, the Downloads category to be cleaned up, the application will not delete all files in the Downloads folder. However, if you select some other categories with files located in the Downloads folder, these files will be removed. For example, if you select Installation files, your dmg files from the Downloads folder will be deleted.
Manage disk space
MacCleaner Pro allows you to explore your files, apps and documents to find out what is taking up your disk space. Switch to the Manage disk space section to view your disk usage in detail.
After extraction archives, most users forget to remove .zip files. These files usually take up huge space on your disk and are likely unnecessary.. Switch to the Archives category to view the list of all .zip files on your Mac. Select and remove unwanted ones.
Switch to the Documents category to view a list of your documents. Review and remove large files and folders you don’t need.
On your Mac, you may store movies downloaded from iTunes, created with video editing apps or transferred from your iPhone. Whatever the reason you keep video files on your Mac, you should keep in mind that these files take up huge disk space. Manually locating them may be tricky. Go to the Movie category in MacCleaner Pro, review your video files, and remove all large and unneeded ones.
As well as movies, downloading music from iTunes causes the Mac disk space to be filled. Go to the Music category to review a list of all music files stored on your Mac. Select unwanted songs and click to remove them.
Pictures and photos
Pictures are another type of space consumer on a Mac. Manually searching for them takes a lot of time and it’s unnecessary, since MacCleaner Pro automatically locates all pictures on your hard drive and displays them in the appropriate category.
Go to the Pictures category, review the list of all image files on your Mac, select unneeded pictures and click to remove them.
Click the Applications category to view the list of all apps installed on your Mac, the date you used them last and the disk space they are taking up. Click on the Uninstall with App Cleaner button. It will launch a special uninstaller from Pro tools which allows you to remove unwanted apps completely and safely.
Click on this category to see the volume of duplicate pictures, movies, music, documents, archives, and other types of duplicate files. You can review all duplicates with appropriate software from Pro Tools – Duplicate File Finder. Just click the Review with Duplicate Finder button to launch this app and remove or organize your duplicate files and folders.
There are tons of system files on your Mac that can’t be removed or shouldn’t be removed for the system to work correctly, but it’s useful to know about them and understand what is on your Mac hard drive. In the System category, you can view the volume of system operating files, files in the Library folder, and inaccessible folders such as the folders of other Mac users.
Here you can view what is in your Home folder. Please note that the items in the Home folder are displayed in the appropriate categories of files in the list above.
MacCleaner Pro provides special separate applications for a deep cleanup of a Mac. In the Manage disk space section, you viewed what is on your disk. With the Pro tools and helpers, you can easily locate and remove all unwanted stuff from your Mac disk.
Switch to each section from the sidebar and click to launch the appropriate application depending on what files and items you want to locate and remove.
Find duplicate files
Go to this section and run the Duplicate file Finder for the following tasks:
- Find and remove duplicate files and folders
- Find and remove unneeded similar photos in Photos library
- Find similar folders – the folders with both duplicate and unique files
- Merge similar folders
Go to this section and run App Cleaner & Uninstaller for the following tasks:
- Completely uninstall applications
- Reset applications to default state
- Disable/enable/remove web browser extensions
- Disable/enable startup programs
- Remove remaining files of previously deleted apps
- Change files associations for different types of files
Analyze disk space usage
Go to this section and run Disk Space Analyzer for the following tasks:
- Scan any disk or folder, including external storages
- Analyze and view disk space usage in a convenient sunburst diagram
- Find the biggest files and folders
- Easily operate the bulkiest content on a Mac
Funter is a special tool to easily operate hidden files on a Mac. Run Funter for the following tasks:
- Show hidden files and folders with one click
- Hide files and folders with one click
- Search for hidden files and folders
- Copy, move or remove hidden files and folders
If after both fast cleanup and speed up operations, your Mac still works slowly, we recommend that you use Memory Cleaner. This helps regularly monitor memory usage by apps and automatically clear inactive RAM each time your system is out of RAM.
Run Memory cleaner for the following tasks:
- Monitor memory usage on a Mac
- Find most memory consuming apps
- Free up RAM memory with one click
- Set up the frequency of RAM cleanup and let the app do this task automatically
Full disk access
Since the release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, for security reasons, Apple requires that you manually grant access to your apps to operate the user`s files. That’s why, when you launch MacCleaner Pro for the first time, you will need to grant access to your folders to let the program scan your disk. You will see the following message
Now, we will explain how to grant access to MacCleaner Pro to your data so as to use the program for your tasks.
Before we start, note that you can click the link right in the pop-up window in the app to open Privacy settings. In this case, skip the first three steps from our guide.
Here is how to grant Full Disk Access to the app:
- Open System Preferences and go to Security & Privacy.
- Switch to the Privacy tab.
- Scroll down the list of items on the left and find and select Full Disk Access.
- Click the Lock icon in the bottom left corner to make changes. It will require your password.
- Drag and drop MacCleaner Pro to the list of apps with Full Disk Access. You can also add MacCleaner Pro by clicking the Plus “+” button and selecting the app from the Applications folder.
- Click the lock again to save the changes.
If you don’t grant Full Disk Access to MacCleaner Pro, the app will scan your disk but you will not be able to operate some categories of files. In this case, you will see the appropriate mark next to these items. Take a look at the screenshot.
If you want to remove these files, click on Grant Access and follow the steps we provided to allow the app to remove selected files.
If you have any questions about MacCleaner Pro, contact our support team. We will be happy to assist you.
Uninstall MacCleaner Pro
How to completely uninstall MacCleaner Pro
If for some reason you need to uninstall MacCleaner Pro, follow these steps:
- Close MacCleaner Pro and quit all additional tools of the program: App Cleaner & Uninstaller, Duplicate File Finder, Disk Space Analyzer, Funter and Memory Cleaner.
- Open Finder → go to the Applications folder and remove MacCleaner Pro from there.
- Then in Finder press the Cmd+Shift+G shortcut and navigate the ~/Library folder.
- Go to the Application Support folder and remove the com.nektony.Maccleaner-Pro-SII folder from there.
- Empty your Trash.
MacCleaner Pro provides a free trial with unlimited features for 7 days. After the trial period ends, you can view your disk usage and see what is on your disk, but you can’t remove unneeded files. To use the program without any limitations, you need to upgrade to Pro.
Here is how to upgrade to Pro and activate the license in MacCleaner Pro:
- Launch MacCleaner Pro and click the Get Pro button in the top right corner.
- Click Buy and make a purchase on the product’s website.
- After making a purchase, you will receive an email with the license key. If you don’t see the message, please check the Spam folder.
- Switch to program again → go to the Menu Bar and click MacCleaner Pro → select License info…
- Enter your license key from the email and click to activate it.
- In a moment, your license will be activated.
If for some reason you lose your key, contact our support team and provide the email address you used to make the purchase and we will send you your activation key.
- How to check storage on Mac
- How to clean up “Other” storage on Mac
- How to improve a slow Mac
- How to clear cache on Mac
- How to clear up storage on Mac
- How to uninstall apps on Mac completely
- How to fix “Startup Disk Full” error
- How to reindex Spotlight
- How to clear up storage on Mac
- Apple Mail search is not working on Mac. How to fix it.
When you are cleaning up the Trash bin with MacCleaner Pro, you might face an error with deleting some items from Trash. In this case, MacCleaner Pro shows the exclamation mark next to the file name in the removal confirmation window.
This issue might happen with the files which belonged to a deleted user and were backed up by Time Machine. The macOS system might not allow you to permanently delete these files from Trash due to security reasons.
To resolve this problem and remove the items you don’t need from Trash, follow these steps:
- Restart your Mac in Recovery Mode. For this, press the Command+R shortcut when rebooting Mac.If you are using a Mac with an M1 processor, instead of pressing Command+R, keep pressing the power button for 5 seconds to enter Recovery Mode.
- In the startup window, select Recovery Mode.
- Go to the Menu bar and click Utilities → select Terminal.
Type the command below to disable SIP on Mac and press Return.
- csrutil disable
- Restart your Mac.
- Delete the problematic files from Trash manually or with the help of MacCleaner Pro.
Important note: After deleting the files, don’t forget to re-enable the System Integrity Protection. For this, again restart your Mac in Recovery Mode → open Terminal, and this time type this command:
- csrutil enable
Then restart your Mac.
This will prevent the accidental removal of important system files on your Mac.